We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

I think we've decided to spend half of our trip in June in NC, mainly to see Cataloochee and the elk, etc. I need some advice however. We know where and what we want to do on the TN side, but information on the NC side is a little difficult to come by.

We would like to stay in a cabin in North Carolina. Any places near Cataloochee or other points of interest? (We aren't big into the shopping or dinner/shows-mainly outdoorsy things!)

Any favorite hikes or drives or waterfalls? (Our hiking ability is moderate-we did Chimney's and thought that was a bit difficult, but we survived!)

Any information/advice is greatly appreciated!

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

I love the NC side of the mountains.I dont know about the cabins over there because we have always stayed at Harrahs in Cherokee.If you like to Trout fish then there are some really great places to fish at.I would recommend going to Cataloochee.They have a auto tour but a little smaller than Cades Cove that is a wonderful drive and good chance of seeing lots of Elk.The Oconaluftee vistors center on 441 as your coming into Cherokee there is a large field and Elk like to hang out there too.

Mountain Farm Museum and Mingus Mill is also a nice place to see.Cherokee is a great little town but does have touristy things like Gatlinburg does.Maggie Valley is also another nice town to explore and it is beautiful over there.There is alot of hiking trails on the NC side but I really cant comment on them because we havent hiked over there yet and we are just starting to hike on the TN side.Blue Ridge Parkway is also another beautiful drive.We drove some of it in last year and loved it.I would also go up to Clingmans Dome as it is on the way from Gatlinburg on 441.

Theres also the Biltmore Estates in Asheville which is a nice little day trip to take.

Im sure some more people can tell you more about the hikes in the NC side.Have a great trip.

Level Contributor
1,829 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

There is a link on the website of A Holiday Motel for waterfalls in the NC area. TA member SmokyBob rents cabins near Dillsboro; I haven't stayed in them, but you can check out the link on his profile. Also, this link might be helpful:

There is a good trail guide, "Day Hikes of the Smokies," that you can purchase at the park visitor centers.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

You might find a cabin closer to Cataloochee through VRBO, but the closest one that I'm aware of is Boyd Mountain Christmas Tree Farm & Cabin Rentals. They are just a few miles from Cove Creek Rd.

Their property is beautiful, and the cabins are authentic and have been moved to their farm and restored.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

There are many many things to do on the NC side and lucky for you there are no factory outlets and miles of T shirt shops here.

If you want to be near Cataloochee, then you might want to find a cabin in Maggie Valley. Cabins can be found from Sylva to Nantahala to Bryson City.

for cabins check out www.greatsmokies.com (Bryson City),

www.mountainlovers.com ( Jackson County)

www.smokymtngetaways.net cabins near Sylva, Dillsboro, Cherokee, Bryson City...

Things to do

In June a tube ride at Deep Creek is in order. It is in the park near Bryson City, they have a campground and day use area.

You have numerous hiking trails and so forth in the national park itself, one of my favorites for a day hike is off of Balsam Mountain off the Blue Ridge Parkway called the Flat Creek trail, once you could easily access Flat Creek Falls from there too. Also off of Balsam Mountain you have the Heintooga Motor Nature Trail which will take you into the woods and down into Cherokee through the NP.

In Bryson City there are many short hikes off of Park's Lake Shore Drive along the creeks and out to the shore of Lake Fontana

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a destination unto itself, there are vistas along the road which are unmatched anywhere. One of my favorite hikes off the BRP is the Grave Yard Fields and the Shinning Rock Wilderness Area of the Pisgah National Forest...highyl recommend it.

Then if waterfalls are your fancy..Jackson and Transylvania Counties have a ton of them..Start outside of Franklin on US64/NC 28 and head up to Highlands across US 64 either come back NC 107 or take 64 into Brevard and back across US 276.

A great way to spend the day in the Smokies in the summer especially is to rent a boat or bring your own powered or paddle power and visit Lake Fontana and explore the national park from both land and water. There are boat rental companies like Almond Boat Park near Almond that will set you up and send you on your way.

These should help get your trip planning going.

Level Contributor
1,045 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

if you spend some time at Deep Creek, you can catch three waterfalls in less than a 2-mile hike.

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

Wow, thanks everyone so much for your help! I hope to one day have the knowledge that you all have about the Smoky Mountains!

Smokybob-thanks for the info! I will definitely check those hikes and cabin rentals out!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

Smokybob had some good information. I would do a cabin search on the web for either Maggie Valley or Bryson. I get some emails from a Bryson company that seems to have some nice cabins. Also a www.cherokee-nc.com they have a link under lodging for cabins in the Cherokee area. They also list events for the area.

What time do you plan to in the area?

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

John- we plan to go the second to last week in June. We went in May last year and loved it, but stayed on the TN side of things.

Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

Maggie Valley is a neat town. Mountaineer Restaurant and Fireside Cottages is a fun place to stay. It's rustic and not real expensive. There are some good restaurants at MV.

Mountaineer Restaurant and Fireside Cottages @ 6490 Soco Road, Maggie Valley, NC 828 - 926 - 1730.

Country Vittle's Family Restaurant @ 3589 Soco Road, Maggie Valley, NC 828 - 926 - 1820.

J Arthur's Restaurant @ 2843 Soco Road, Maggie Valley, NC 828 - 926 - 1817.

Joey's Pancake House @ 4309 Soco Road, Maggie Valley, NC 828 - 926 - 0212.

Maggie Valley Restaurant @ 2804 Soco Road, Maggie Valley, NC 828 - 926 - 0425.

10. Re: Help! 1/2 of trip in NC, 1/2 in TN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 16:54
Edited: 13 February 2011, 16:54