We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

Hi Forum,

I am going to Chattanooga Tn. for 1st time next week with my sister and found a bunch of places to visit looking forward to all. My problem is we still have 3 days to kill and we have both been to P Forge, Dollywood, Cades Cove, etc. We have gone to some areas in NC which we also love, Bryson City, Maggey Valley, Cherokee,Fontana, and Murphy. Looking for a new area to explore. Problem is I can't walk too much anymore so no hiking, or long walks...

If anyone know a place we can explore please let us know!!!

We also like to be near a town where we can have a beer with dinner. We dont want a cabin as it's just us two but would really like a room or lodge with a gas fireplace in it if anyone knows of any.

I thank all of you readers from the forum so much for your taking the time to read and give good useful sound advise always. Thanks, Terry

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

How about a day in Ashville and then 2 days driving/exploring part of the Blue Ridge Parkway? We were going to do that this summer before our vacation plans changed. Seems like you could see a lot of neat scenery and towns without having to do too much walking.

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

Thanks not a bad idea! We might give that a try as the mountains are just so beautiful!

nashville
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

check out Tellico Plains. you could drive the Cherohala Skyway, visit Bald River falls and the scenic drive there along the river, fish the Tellico River. at the other end of Cherohala is Santeelah Lake... beautiful mountain lake. there's a short, easy hike to do at Joyce Kilmer that goes through some of the biggest trees in the eastern US.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

I don't know if you mean you have three days after Chattanooga or three days total. It will definitely take three days to do some good exploring in and around Chattanooga. Besides that, I like ashepabst's suggestion. A loop from Chattanooga up to the Skyway and back down through the Ocoee would be a lot of fun. You could visit the Lost Sea, Mayfield Dairy, Sweetwater Farms, Hiawassee River Rafting (Class II), Bald River Falls, Cherohala Skyway, North River Road, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest (gorgeous short nature trail), and the Ocoee River (Class IV and V rafting and Olympic visitor center). If you're not interested in the Ocoee or would prefer the Hiawassee to the Ocoee, you could make the loop a little bigger by incorporating Fort Mountain State Park and Ellijay. Gorgeous country down there.

Option #1: http://goo.gl/maps/NOdP

Option #2: http://goo.gl/maps/Lovo

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

I second the Cherohala Skyway, you may also take US 64 into Highlands NC and there are ton of waterfalls with a short hike to a few, not hard at all then head to Brevard NC. You also have stunning views, many superior to the Smokies along the Blue Ridge Parkway...best road in eastern US in my opinion.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

Blowing Rock, NC is near Boone, NC as well as Banner Elk, NC. This is a beautiful area to visit. Chetola is a great resort to visit.

http://www.chetola.com/

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

How about Hot Springs North Carolina?

8. Re: Looking For A New Place To Explore Tenn Or NC???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 17:18