We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in the Smokies???

Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in the Smokies???

Hello,

I am making my first trip to the Smokies over the 4th of July weekend. I am not sure where to start for lodging or where to stay. Either a hotel or cabin is fine, but I don't want to stay in a tourist town. Possibly in the GSMNP but somewhere in the mountains. I am also budget conscious so nothing luxury. Simple is fine as long as the room is clean.

Thanks for advice!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

Hi Khatter.

Much depends on which part of the national park you are most interested in exploring. Given that you are only in the area for the weekend of the fourth, I will make a few suggestions based on which quadrant of the park of which you may be considering.

The Tennessee side of the park will be more crowded and more touristy. Gatlinburg and Pigeon for example will be full of folks. Townsend and Wears Valley will be less crowded, and give you easy access to Cades Cove, Metcalf Bottoms, Sugarlands Visitor Center, and all points north of Newfound Gap.

South of Newfound Gap you will find the North Carolina side of the park, where you could stay in Cherokee (will have a touristy feel), Maggie Valley, which provides access to Cataloochee, Bryson City, and Fontana Village, which all have a more rural feel.

You can download a Smokys Trip Planner here. It might help you decide which places you would like to see the most while in the area, which could determine the location of your lodging.

nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/trip-planner.htm

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

I highly recommend Townsend, it's known as the "Peaceful Side of Smokies". My husband and I always prefer to stay there. Last year we stayed at a place called The Bunkhouse Inn. It was really nice and clean, and all the rooms have a different theme (The Bear Den for example) and they are painted with Bears, etc. The furniture is all log furniture and handmade by the owners I believe.

There is a quaint little coffee shop right in front of it that also houses the office. The river rushes right outside your patio door, and there are fire pits and grills to use out back too. We stayed here for a night before heading to our "luxury" cabin in Gatlinburg last year, and we preferred the Bunkhouse over the cabin!

They do have rooms available that sleep more than two...here is their website with pictures of the rooms! Rates are about $90 a night, which during the week you are planning to go is pretty reasonable. Also, I would hurry and book your lodging (wherever you decide to stay) ASAP, as it will fill up quickly if it hasn't already.

http://www.blountweb.com/bunkhouseinn/

Let us know where you decide to stay!

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

I forgot to add that the only place to stay within the GSMNP is on Mt. Leconte, and it's not accessible by car. You have to hike the mountain to get there, and I believe they book up about a year in advance.

But all the towns are in the mountains, and a short (and scenic!) drive into the park itself.

Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

I should have mentioned something private would be nice. Yes, definitely rural! How far is Maggie Valley are from Knoxville?? The drive time??? I am sure the roads will be busy Tuesday morning July 5th.

nashville
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

you should look at Bryson City... nice little town, good restaurants, not too busy, and very close to two major park accesses, and Newfound Gap Road isn't too far away, either. it's also close to Fontana and Santeelah Lakes, both gorgeous lakes surrounded by mountains. Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest isn't too far away either. good whitewater in the area, too.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

For great lodging at Mom & Pop motels, check out Lloyds on the River in Bryson City and A Holiday Motel in Maggie Valley. My preferred route to Maggie Valley is through Townsend, then along the Little River Rd. through the park to Sugarlands Visitor Center, and then south through the park to Cherokee, then east to Maggie Valley or west to Bryson City. Can't remember exactly how long or how far, but this route avoids the horrific traffic of Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg. I've never stayed in Townsend, but a friend goes to the Talley-Ho Motel (maybe Tally-Ho) at least once a year. All 3 towns have something to offer; Maggie Valley is the smallest, nearest to Cataloochee Valley, one of the quietest, most remote areas of the national park.

Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I still have not made a decision but will let you all know what I decide.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

We stayed at the White Oaks Resort just outside Gaitlinburg! Great base location. Stay in the cabins, very nice!

Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

Well after hours of research I have found a one bedroom cabin in a small resort located in Pigeon Forge. It has privacy and a hot tub which are the two things I really wanted.

Thanks so much for all your advice!!!

10. Re: Where to stay in the Smokies???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 06:17