We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Elkmont

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Questions about Elkmont

Hi all! I have never been over to Elkmont and I was wondering if a few of you guys who know the area could help me out. First - I understand that there is some construction going on to restore some of the old vacation houses. Does this mean that it is impossible to drive past any of the old cottages? A few can be seen at the start of the Little River Trail - correct? Also - I am interested in seeing the graveyard. How do I get to that? In a previous post I saw someone mention that you can park at a closed gravel road and walk up some steps to some ruins. How far is this? Sorry for so many questions! Thanks!

Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Elkmont

Indeed, there are a few cottages at the beginning of the Little River Trail, but the other cottages are an easy walk from where you will park to walk that trail. I'm not sure how to access them at this time with the restorations going on.

I'm having trouble remembering where the cemetery is. My apologies,..I must be getting old :-)

Level Contributor
1,047 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Elkmont

MamaBear -- you're probably thinking of the Trentham Cemetery which is shown on this map of the campground:

(it's on the "Elkmont Vicinity" subset on the Left)

so, it looks like there should be a path heading right from the road just past the Little River Trailhead. along this road is where most of the cottages are.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Elkmont

There is two cemeteries in the Elkmont community. Both are right next to eachother. We've visited both a few years ago, but can't remember just exactly how we got there. I DO remember they're at the one end of the road that go's through the summer cottages. As I remember, you exit the Elkmont community and drive downhill twards the wooded area. There's a sign at the entrance to the newer cemetery stating "We are on our long journey home....we expect to be gone a long time.....please respect our resting place" That's about all I can remember about the cemeterties. (Although I do remember we came upon them quite by accident)

Orange Beach
Level Contributor
459 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Elkmont

We've been to the cemetaries in Elkmont but honestly I can't remember them exactly so no help there - as for the "ruins" and the steps, I assume you are speaking of the old lodge. You have to look closely and you will see the steps going up a steep incline - it's on the road coming into Elkmont - at the top of the hill is the old Lodge. It's pretty unstable, but I couldn't resist going up those steps to see where it led. There's enough of it still standing to see that it was once a magnificent retreat.

5. Re: Questions about Elkmont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...