We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight backpacking hikes

ky.boy
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Topic
overnight backpacking hikes

I plan on doing alot of overnight hiking trips this summer staying at bc campsites and i have a few questions foe those who do the same.My last overnighter i was using a coleman 65l pack and a coleman backpacking tent that was way to heavy.The pack wass very uncomfortable-i am told that some of the nicer packs have a suspension system{whatever that is}lol and that will make a huge diference in comfort.I want to travel alot lighter this time so i need some reccomendations on a good lightweight packable sleeoing bag and a good lightweight backpack for 1-2 night overnighters-im tild osprey backpacks are good but a little pricey.I think im going to go with a eureka 1 person tent at a little over 2lbs and it has decent reviews.Also do you all use a sleeping bag pad when camping/Any help would be apreciatted. thx, junktruck

nashville
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight backpacking hikes

for me an inflatable sleeping pad is a must. after sleeping on one i don't think i'll ever go back to sleeping on the ground... makes a big difference, IMO. it adds a little extra weight, but essential if you ask me.

i have an osprey pack... the 50 liter. it's very comfortable on me, but it was pricey. i wouldn't have spent $200 on a pack except i had a gift certificate and a big discount coupon at REI.

you should check out Lowe Alpine and Kelty packs if you don't want to spend $200. I can vouch for Lowe Alpine. I carried a Lowe pack on a few trips and it was plenty comfortable. ("suspension system" just refers to the shoulder and hip straps, padding, etc.)

another good way to shed some pounds for your pack is to buy a water filter, if you haven't already. that'll cost you at least $60, but you wont have to carry every drop of water you'll need. water should be the heaviest item in your pack.

check out REI-Outlet.com for good sales. their website lets you compare by weight, cost, material, etcetera. find what you like here at REI, then shop around on the discount sites to find the best deal... backcountry.com, cabelas, campmor.com...

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
280 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight backpacking hikes

I would go with a hammock and tarp over a tent. No. 1 no bulky tent parts that can break. #2 No bed pad to pack. #3 don't need level ground just two trees spaced just right which is easy to find.

Pack brand is not all that important. Most important is that it fits you well and is confortable.

Only pack essential like water food rain gear and so forth. No need for the entire house for an overnight trip.

A little note on the water purifier some only block some pathogens. It still may need to either boiled or chemically treated to be 100% safe.

Have fun and be careful.

Edited: 11 July 2011, 19:07
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight backpacking hikes

As stated above, fit is all-important. What works for one person may be a poor choice for another. If possible, rent a different pack for each trip until you find a brand that works for you. If there is an REI store near you, they will fit you with a pack and if it doesn't work on the trail, you can return it for a full refund or a replacement with another brand/style. River Sports in Knoxville has a great selection and has several salesmen that are experts with fitting. I don't know if they have a rental division or not.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight backpacking hikes

Gander Mountain or REI are your best bets for finding the right fit for your pack. As everyone else said, it will make all the difference in the world.

As far as tent, I would never go without one. Same goes for thermarest. They are vital components to having a comfortable trip. I've searched high and low for equipment, hubby does boundary waters trips annually and he needs everything to be as light as possible. CAMPMOR.COM has the best prices and selection in my opinion. If you're not brand loyal (and we are NOT) you can always find some really great deals on what you need. try packs on in a store and return home to find the best price.

Get the lightest gear you can afford. When purchasing your thermarest, be sure to get the short one. Buy the nicest down bag you can afford. I was very hesitant on our first overnight trip and all the right gear makes it so much more fun. You do NOT want to be stuck in a wet tent with a cotton bag. Check Craigslist.com in your area for people who are upgrading their equipment and selling off their old stuff.

5. Re: overnight backpacking hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 13:19