We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in the park - what should we do there?

Aurora, Ilinois
Level Contributor
393 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
One day in the park - what should we do there?

We are a family of 5 - kids ages 8, 11, and 14. We will be spending one day exploring the park on our trip - what are the must-see areas/trails? We'd like to see some wildlife, good views of the mtns, waterfalls, etc. We can handle a good amount of walking but we're not atheletes by any means! Any advice is so much appreciated! Thanks :-)

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

For one day in the Park, I think that Cades Cove would be a good place to go. The Cove is a valley that is surrounded by the mountains. There is all kinds of wildlife there. The best time to see them is either early in the morning or the evening, especially if you go in the summer. As for waterfalls, you can walk to Abrams Falls from a trailhead in the Cove. Check out the national park's web site at www.nps.gov/grsm for more info about Cades Cove and the rest of the Park.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,695 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

Yes, if you only have one day, make it a good long one.

Go to Cades Cove either early in the morning or late in the day for best wildlife viewing especially in the hot summer. You'll most likely see deer, wild turkeys and even possibly a bear or two.

Drive Little River Road between Cades Cove to the Sugarlands and stop along to see Meigs Falls, the Sinks, and possibly even hike to Laurel Falls (only about 2 miles roundtrip).

Stop at the Sugarlands Visitor center to see the film and museum there and maybe take the short hike from there over to Cataract Falls.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

do your kids love adventure and ice cold water? our only annual vacation is always spent in the national park. The Sinks is a must see especially if the kids like jumping into the water. There's a decent parking area, no hike to the falls and loads of daredevils jumping in the water from about 20 feet. Not too difficult but a scarier jump for the braver ones. Grandma doesn't jump or even walk close to the edge but I do go up over the hill where you'll see people hanging out with kids. I hope I caught you in time to get there. It's my family;s favorite place on earth!! It's between sugarlands visitor center and Townsend. Do yourself a favor and get there!!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

The above and plan a picnic lunch at the WYE near Townsend on the way to Cades Cove.

John

Cocoa Beach, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

the "Y" used to be one of our favorites until they made it where you can't jump anymore. However you are right I do love the "Y" and also tubing. My son and I will e there next week!!!! CAN"T WAIT!!!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

They have installed signs at the Y saying not to jump. We where there the first of June and there where people jumping.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

WOW! they got some nerve cause the park rangers always seem to be there and they take their jobs very seriosly! From what I heard they made people quit jumping there because of nutballs trying to time their jump to splash passing tubers and ruined for everyone. Getting splshed is bad enough when the water is freezing but I beleive that a few jumpers actually jumped on people by accident.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
340 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

The Y and The Sinks are two separate places. I consider the water at The Sinks to be dangerous becuse of current and underwater obstructions. I have never jumped into the water at The Sinks, never let my children do so, and do not let my grandchildren do so. There are warning signs posted at The SInks concerning these dangers.

I have been visiting the GSMNP since 1956 and have swum and waded in a lot of water but NOT at The Sinks.

nashville
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

i'm sure that any rule change had more to do with the fact that people die there every year (like just a few weeks ago). i think the carnival-like scene there in the summer time gives people a false sense of security, so the warning signs are a step in the right direction, i'd say.

Edited: 22 July 2011, 16:12
10. Re: One day in the park - what should we do there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 04:17