We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through the Smokies

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving through the Smokies

Hello,

My husband and I are visiting the Smokies next week and we are wondering what kind of car we should rent or does it even matter? Should we rent an SUV to get around in the mountains better or are the roads too narrow for this? Should we rent a smaller car instead?

Thanks!!!!

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
344 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through the Smokies

I drive a very small 4 cylinder car, and go anywhere I want in the GSMNP. You do not need a SUV or any other special vehicle. In fact, a SUV would just ues more gas.

Edited: 16 August 2011, 15:18
Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through the Smokies

I'd recommend the smaller vehicle also. We need to learn to travel lighter so we could downsize as well. Takes me almost 36- 40 gallons of gasoline to make the trip the the GSMNP. Calculated with a Prius, it would take 5-7 gallons.

nashville
Level Contributor
985 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving through the Smokies

only if you plan on traveling any of the park's dirt roads... but i agree with these guys... otherwise a smaller car is easier with the narrow, windy roads.

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving through the Smokies

rent a motorcycle!

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving through the Smokies

There are a lot of windy dirt roads, but my 4 cylinder did just fine. We did a ton of driving during our one week visit, so a smaller car might help the gas bill.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving through the Smokies

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, only because I'm a large frame guy (6ft-2in, 275 lbs) A smaller framed car with four cylinders just wouldn't get the job done. Not only that, but a smaller car just wouldn't fit everything we had to pack. Outside of that,a smaller size car would fit the bill for fine anywhere in the park.

Ray

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
280 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving through the Smokies

Only place a car may be a problem is in the Greenbriar entrance to the park due to the road being gravel but when we went it had alot of pot holes but we managed to get through it in a little Chevy HHR.

8. Re: Driving through the Smokies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 17:18