We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cherohala Skyway

Nashville, TN
2 posts
Save Topic
Cherohala Skyway

Hello everyone...

Has anyone driven this before? I'm staying four days in Bryson City and four days in Wears Valley in mid-October. I thought instead of going directly thru the Park like I usually do I would try a more scenic route. I would appreciate any comments or recommendations.

Was wondering how good the Skyway road is? And how are the roads leading into and out of the Skyway...extremely rural or pretty decent roads?

What sights do you recommend along the drive?

nashville
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cherohala Skyway

yeah, the skyway's a great drive. the road was fine when i passed through last. either end of the route connects to a highway.

on the Tenn side you can make the drive over to Bald River Falls. the NC side ends near Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest which has a short loop hike through a grove of some of the biggest trees in the East. and in between there are many scenic views and spots to pull over and rest, take a hike, have a picnic.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cherohala Skyway

Great road and very scenic trip. Highly recommended for you to consider. Enjoy Tellico Plains in the historic and small downtown. Stop at the Tellico Grains Bakery for some fresh homemade baked goods. Visit Bald River Falls as the above poster noted. It is a few miles off the parkway just before you arrive into Tellico Plains.

Great trip with beautiful views and less traffic and people. Please do not tell anyone else as we enjoy this so much that we usually keep it to ourselves. But others are slowing discovering the parkway none the less!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cherohala Skyway

I am compelled to agree. It's a wonderful drive, and the massive Tulip Poplars at Joyce Kilmer are a wonder to behold. Nice easy hike to see them. Stop at the visitor center and get a map of the stops along the way. We did this drive two years ago in the fall color, and it was a treat.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cherohala Skyway

Loved the drive!

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cherohala Skyway

This is one of those roads less traveled here and in many ways reminds me of the BRP before the BRP viewshed was changed by the development along her way there. The Cherohala is a hidden gem of sorts here and is worth the the experience.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cherohala Skyway

I love Cherohala. We went in August on our motorcycles with temps in the high 90's. While we were on the Cherohala it was COLD! Be sure to take a jacket if you plan to get out to take pics.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cherohala Skyway

Here are some pictures. Just happened to come across this site.

…smugmug.com/TailoftheDragonPictures/Cheroha…

Richton Mississippi
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cherohala Skyway

I likes your pictures,plan on driving it in 3 weeks.

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cherohala Skyway

Great pictures dawgcentral. Thanks for sharing.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cherohala Skyway

My wife and I are always looking to visit some new site we've never been to previously. What's the best way to go to get to Cherohala Skyway, and how long a drive is it?

Ray