We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cases Cove loop road closure

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Cases Cove loop road closure

While reading this mornings paper I read a report stating that the loop road will close to all wheeled traffic this coming Wednesday. Also only the front half of the loop will be open to traffic the following day (Thursday). The report also says that foot traffic will be allowed both days.

The reason given is to allow forestry technicians to spray (treat) the hemlock woolly adelgid infested hemlocks from large trucks.

I hope the closure won't impact readers here who are planning on visiting but wanted to get this in front if as many of you as possible so at least you can plan ahead a bit.

Chris

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cases Cove loop road closure

I too hate to hear that the loop will be closed to any unknowing visitor to the Cove. That has been our favorite sightseeing location thru all the years we've been vacationing there. However I am happy that they are going to spray the hemlocks for those bugs. I hope it is a complete success.

Ray

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cases Cove loop road closure

I'm with you, Ray. It's such a great little corner of the park, especially for anyone who is unable or unwilling to hike the remote areas. Although we love hiking we also love to take the loop on occastion.

It breaks my heart to see the massive 'skeletons' of the dead hemlocks throughout the park and like you I hope they can save many of those that remain.

Chris

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cases Cove loop road closure

After witnessing all the dead tree trunks up at Clingmans Dome and seeing those downed trees on the Roaring Fork nature tour, plus reading about all the logging that took place in this area prior to the parks opening, I'd love to see what the park would look like before this all happened.

Ray

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cases Cove loop road closure

Friends of Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Due to snowy forecast the hemlock treatment schedule for Cades Cove this week is being adjusted by 1 day, meaning that the Loop Road will be closed WEDS. (not tomorrow), and a partial closure on THURS.

5. Re: Cases Cove loop road closure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:41
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...