We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

Missouri
Level Contributor
118 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

A little leary of taking my 8 year olds rafting.... but it looks like SO MUCH FUN! I don't want the (what appears to be dull) Lower Pigeon experience. Has anyone rafted on each river that can offer suggestions on which we might enjoy most and what outfitters are recommended? I've read tons of reviews and all seem acceptable. Anything that might set one apart from the others?

Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
35 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

With an 8 year old, the Nantahala is a little more tame, but still lots of fun! NOC has a stellar reputation, but there are many others that are wonderful as well.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

The Pigeon River is much more fun in my opinion and I have done both rivers. If u are staying in the Gatlinburg area it is much closer too than driving all the way to Bryson City. We went with a company call Big Creek Expeditions and they have the most experienced guide staff on the Pigeon River. Just let them know your concerns and they will take good care of u. Our guide's name was Chris and he was great with the kids

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

The Pigeon River is much more fun in my opinion and I have done both rivers. If u are staying in the Gatlinburg area it is much closer too than driving all the way to Bryson City. We went with a company call Big Creek Expeditions and they have the most experienced guide staff on the Pigeon River. Just let them know your concerns and they will take good care of u. Our guide's name was Chris and he was great with the kids

Edited: 20 July 2012, 15:57
Missouri
Level Contributor
118 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

Still thinking it over. Thanks for the advice!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

It has been years ago but I took my son on the lower pigeon before he was old enough for the upper. It was a nice float trip. When he was 8 we did both the Natahala and the Pigeon. He had a blast. NOC is a great company to raft with. The kids that are not afraid of the water really enjoy the rafting. They have no fear.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

The NOC has what an Arizona river guide recently described as "a world-class reputation"; I'd go with them. See their website at www.noc.com Most of the rafting companies are fine, but I'd always select the NOC when there's a choice.

If you haven't rafted before, I'd do the Nantahala to see how all of you react. The Pigeon is more exciting and less crowded (I've canoed both), but the Nantahala still has plenty of whitewater, especially for kids who haven't rafted before.

Edited: 25 July 2012, 21:06
Missouri
Level Contributor
118 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

Thank you! Good to hear such a promising review!

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

We must finished the Upper Pidgeon River rafting using Smokey Mountain Rafting Companyand loved it.... As did our 10 year old. The guides were fun, playful and mindful of safety! It is 3-4 rapid river yet calm at the same time. It is a bit too calm for athletic outdoor folks!

9. Re: Pigeon or Nantahala Rivers for Rafting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...