We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend an easy waterfall trail

Parkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend an easy waterfall trail

Hello, I will be visiting the Smokies soon and would like to do some easy hikes. I recently pulled my hamstring muscle and am on my way to recovering. Bad timing but I need to find some easy trails for some hiking. Maybe see a waterfalls. Thanks!

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
966 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend an easy waterfall trail

If you are staying on the TN side of the Park, Laurel Falls is one of the most popular and easier Waterfall hikes - 2.3 miles RT with the trailhead located less than 4 miles from Sugarlands Visitor Center. If you haven't already found this website, here is a link to many of the hikes in the Park: http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/feature.htm. Another hike nearby is the old railroad bed leading out of Elkmont campground - Little River Trail. It is a wide trail with a gradual incline - you can hike 2.5 miles back to an intersection with other trails or just hike back a ways as you enjoy the sound of the Little River. There is also a small waterfall along this trail.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
345 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend an easy waterfall trail

Without knowing more about your recovery any answer is problematical Try the Gatlinburg Trail from the town water treatment plant to Sugarlands Visitors Center. This is flat and is along the river with rapids and rills if no falls. If this "feels ok" you could go on to Grotto Falls or Laurel Falls. On Laurel Falls you gain 400--500 feet in elevation; losing that elevation may be harder on a sore leg than gaining it. Try the flat Gatlinburg Trail first.

Parkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend an easy waterfall trail

Thanks for the reply. We are staying in Gatlinburg. My doctor says hiking should be ok, just that I might be stopping more often to rest my leg. We will be there three days so I might start off with an easy and flat walk then work up to the Grotto or Laurel Falls.

Parkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend an easy waterfall trail

The Little River trail sounds nice. Thanks for the reply, I am looking forward to our visit.

Bensalem...
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend an easy waterfall trail

We did Abrams Falls and I thought it was an easier hike. It is about 4 miles round trip I think and it's all a well maintained path. It's a pretty popular hike, there was a decent amount of people doing it when I was there. From young kids to older people. There is one stretch that's a little steeper though, so you might be stopping more often there. Not sure exactly what you're up for, but might be worth checking out. We started it from the cades cove entrance.

This might be a little further from you but if you want a hike that's more of a long walk (all flat, wide path) we started at the abrams falls campground and there's a series of trails there. We took one I think it was called the goldmine trail. No waterfalls, just a nice walk in the woods.

Parkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend an easy waterfall trail

Thanks, we just returned on Oct 9th from our trip. I was able to do a few hikes to some different waterfalls. One was the Grotto, Laurel Falls, Mingo( the steps going down were a little difficult but I made it), we also saw a tiny one called Cataract and Tom Branch on the Cherokee side of the park? We had a great time, especially since I was able to do more than I expected. Just glad I didn't fall. My leg is still bruised from the hamstring tear.

7. Re: Recommend an easy waterfall trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...