We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on a December day?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on a December day?

Hey, Dad & DD21 will be in GSMNP on the Saturday before Christmas, staying in Gatlinburg, we only have 1 full day in the park, so I want to make the most of it, we'll of course have a car. What do you recommend doing?

My plans so far not in order are; Cade's Cove, Laurel Falls, and Grotto Falls, maybe even continuing to Brushy Mountain, but unsure we enjoy walking, Dad does have a bad back, looking for easy to moderate walks? We won't have hiking gear with us, just good trainers, and backpack with water etc..

What else do you recommend? Any other trails or driving loops that will be open in December? And orders you suggest doing things?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks :D

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
340 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on a December day?

Remember you are in the park on the shortest day of the year--approximately--and daylight is limited. Get an early start. In Cades Cove make sure to get out of the car & walk around some of the structures. Take the nature trail. Keep in mind it gets dark in the woods earlier than official sundown.

nashville
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on a December day?

just a heads-up in case you didn't know. the Roaring Fork road closes on Nov. 30, so it'll be a bit longer of a hike to get to Grotto Falls and/or Brushy Mountain.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on a December day?

Thanks for letting me know, so where do you park the car now, to hike to Grotto Falls? and how how extra distance does it add to the walk? 1/2mile, 3/4's, 1 mile??

Also any rec's for any other things we could do? I realised Cade's Cove, Grotto & Laurel Falls probably could fill or day as the sunrises & sets at 740 & 530pm.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
340 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on a December day?

I think the road closure adds about 2 miles, each way, to the Grotto Falls hike.

nashville
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on a December day?

you would park at the Rainbow Falls/Bullhead Trailhead and follow the Trillium Gap signs.... i'm really not sure how much it adds

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on a December day?

Sounds like Grotto Fails, might be a no then, would that walk to the trail be a road...I presume?

Apart from Laurel Falls and Cade's Cove, what else do you recommend?

7. Re: What to do on a December day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 10:16