We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

newfound gap road landslide

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
newfound gap road landslide

I am planning an Rv trip the week before easter and I saw on the np website that newfound gap road is closed due to a landslide. Does that generally mean it will still be closed in March? We were planning on staying on the TN side in Gatlinburg for 2 nights. If Newfound Gap Rd is still closed should I change where we are staying. Our next destination after the park is Ashville and we had planned while in the park to do some hiking if the weather cooperates and see the main sights - cades cove, etc. Many thanks.

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: newfound gap road landslide

From what I have read they are saying it will probably be closed through May and maybe even June. Cades Cove is on the Tennessee side of the park, so if you stay in Gatlinburg you will still be able to visit there. I'm not a hiker, but I think there are a lot of places to hike on the TN side and that the road closing probably wouldn't effect your hiking too much. As for going on to Asheville, it seemed to take about the same amount of time to get there from GB by going out to I40 than by going across the mountains and getting there that way.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: newfound gap road landslide

Unless you want to drive over to Cherokee NC the issue with the road won't affect your trip in the least. The road will remain open from the Tn side up to Newfound Gap parking area. Only the NC side of the park is blocked.

As the previous poter stated the best way to get to Asheville is via I-40 which is unaffected as well.

Don't let it worry you any further.

3. Re: newfound gap road landslide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...