We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When do the gates at Cades Cove open?

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
When do the gates at Cades Cove open?

My wife and I will be arriving in Gatlinburg the evening of September 8th and would like to visit Cades Cove early morning Monday or Tuesday. We would like to arrive before the crowds while the wild life is still out and about.

Can anyone one tell me when they open the gates?

Thank you for your help!

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When do the gates at Cades Cove open?

The gate at Cades Cove opens at sunrise, closes at sunset. Great idea to get an early start - fewer people, more wildlife. On Wed and Sat, it will be open to hikers and bikers only until 10 AM through late September.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 01:17
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,783 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When do the gates at Cades Cove open?

Yes, be sure to go on Monday or Tuesday, not Wednesday.

If you are staying in Gatlinburg, your drive time is about 30 to 40 minutes to the Cove, and if you get there early, just open up the windows of the car and let the fresh air in as you wait for the gate to open.

Really lovely time of day to drive the loop road.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When do the gates at Cades Cove open?

Thank you both for getting back so quickly.

tnoutdrsmn: Thanks for letting me know about when the gates open and the biker/hiker mornings.

Kat_Cubs_fan: Thanks for the drive times from Gatlinburg and I really like the idea of waiting outside the gate with the windows down. I can't think of a better way to wait for the opening of Cades Cove.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,783 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When do the gates at Cades Cove open?

Your most welcome. Hopefully, that early in the morning, you'll have the roads almost to yourself heading to the Cove. I, too, think waiting while enjoying the crisp morning air with the windows down would be wonderful. It's turning a little cooler and less humid now, so it should be great.

I've done four day trips since early April, arriving at the Townsend Wye most times around 7:30 to 8:00 AM, and the drive down Little River Road that time of day is lovely.

Have a wonderful trip!!

Edited: 03 September 2013, 18:17
Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When do the gates at Cades Cove open?

Kat_Cubs_fan,

We are looking forward to our trip. We will be arriving in Gatlinburg late Sunday afternoon.

The idea of getting away and walking in the Smokies is what is driving me now.

Thank you for your help!

6. Re: When do the gates at Cades Cove open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...