We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnic area ?

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Picnic area ?

Looking for a river/ Creek side picnic area suggestions...

Want a spot with Tables close by ...that you can jump from Boulder to Boulder in the Middle of the River...

Thanks

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Picnic area ?

Chimney Tops Picnic area. About 8 miles north of Gatlinburg entrance to park.

ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnic area ?

I agree. We love to picnic at Chimney Tops. We usually make a day of it and play card games. It is beautiful there!

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
345 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnic area ?

Metcalf Bottom on the Little River Road. The stream is deeper but you can wade in the water and there are some areas where rocks protrude. Jumping from boulder to boulder involves risk of slipping and falling on the rocks.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picnic area ?

I agree with tenntraveler, Metcalf Bottoms is a very nice picnic spot very close to the river. Some tables are a mere 10 feet or so from the river. All tables have individual rought iron charcoal grills. This is our personal favorite picnic area in the park.

Level Contributor
1,419 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Picnic area ?

Chimneys Picnic Area is your answer. It is a pretty unique place. It was formerly a campground so each picnic site has its own parking spot. This is truly a mountain stream, located on a branch of the Little Pigeon River that crashes down from the higher elevations. The water is loud and ice cold. The boulders in this section of the River are huge! Some of them as big as cars and are just begging to be explored. My parents started taking us there since we were tiny and we would burn off lunch rock-hopping and having a blast. It really is not that dangerous as long as you use your head. Don't leave little ones unattended.

In all the years of taking family and friends to this spot, not one kid has ever been hurt, maybe a little wet but that's about it...

nashville
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Picnic area ?

if you hike in just a short ways on the LIttle River Trail from Elkmont, there's a bench right on the river ... lovely spot for a picnic.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picnic area ?

ashepabst, we've been been to Elkmont quite a few times, but that bench you refer to seems unfamiliar to me. Just exactly where is that bench? That sounds like a place I'd like to rest at.

nashville
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Picnic area ?

you know, i can't quite recall just how far up the trail it was. but it couldn't have been too far because i have a photo with my wife and my parents at that spot and i know we didn't walk very far that day.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picnic area ?

While you were in the ELKMONT area, did you happen to visit either, or both of the cemetaries there?

nashville
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Picnic area ?

I have been to the one that's uphill from the Jake's Creek Trailhead, here: www.smokykin.com/tng/showmap.php…

there's another one here:

www.smokykin.com/tng/showmap.php…

There's also an unmarked single grave next to the boulder that's in between sites J8 and J10. from here you can also see where an old road used to cross the river where the bridge supports still stand.

Edited: 06 September 2013, 23:07
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...