We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy Walks To Old Relics?

Tavares, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Easy Walks To Old Relics?

We are looking forward to our trip (week of 10/21) to GSMNP!

I love coming across old remains of cabins, chimneys, signs of life from way back when.

Any suggestions for easy short walks where some of these treasures might be found?

I'm talking outside of Cades Cove, Cataloochee. I'm thinking more off the beaten bath, one of the "quite walkways" etc?

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

This hike is 4 miles RT, good description at this link: wildlifesouth.com/Locations/Tennessee/Whiteo… . Have you explored the old Appalachian Club and Wonderland Hotel site in and around the Elkmont campground from the early 1900s? Plenty to explore and a very easy walk through this former summer resort.

Tavares, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

Elkmont App.Club and Wonderland Hotel are definitely on the agenda for this trip. Is my understanding correct that you go thru the campground to get to trail head and it's only a short walk back to where the old cabins and Hotel remains are? Is there parking at the trailhead?

nashville
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

while your at Elkmont, take a stroll up Jakes Creek Trail... the Avent Cabin is about a half a mile in.

also, the Baxter Cabin is about 3/4 of a mile up the Maddron Bald Trail over near Cosby.

if you're more interested in ruins.... i'm having trouble thinking of specific spots. i know there are several big chimneys along the Old Settlers Trail. i know there's one really close to campsite #33 that's visible from the trail... not sure how far in that is, though.

nashville
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

ooo... just thought of another good one. you can rent a boat/canoe from Fontana Marina and cruse across the lake to Hazel Creek... there's a historic cabin there that's maintained and also the ruins of an old logging town.

Tavares, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

That's definitely sounds worth checking out!

Thanks.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,651 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

When you are in Cades Cove see if there is a volunteer there named Bill (sorry no last name) He was giving a talk a one of the cabins and was telling about some ruins on a trail inside Cades Cove (I don't thing they are on the driving tour you have to hike a little ways too them). He was very knowledgeable about the park and its history. Many of the other park rangers could probably help too.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

Yes, there is parking at the Elkmont trailhead.

Tavares, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

Thanks for the tip! It looks like there are a couple of trailheads in Elkmont. Which one takes you to the old Appalachian club and Wonderland remains or are there signs?

nashville
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

Millionaire's Row, which is where the Clubhouse and all the rich-folk summer homes are/were, can be reached from the Jakes Creek Trailhead. you'll pass a few on the first stretch of the Little River Trail, too.

Wonderland is off a gravel road that splits Left from the road leading into Elkmont, before you get to the campground.

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy Walks To Old Relics?

After you turn into the Elkmont area off of River Road, travel for right at a mile and look for a set of stone steps on the left side of the road that disappear up through some rhododendrons. That is the location of the former Wonderland Hotel. From there, continue on towards the campground and you will see a sign directing you to the trailheads by bearing left at the campground entrance. In Cades Cove, follow the stream behind John Oliver's house up to an old car frame and chimney.

Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...