We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoky Mountain National Park

Caledonia, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Smoky Mountain National Park

My husband & I are planning a hiking trip to Smoky Mountain National Park in April. I am wondering how busy it is that time of year and whether we would be safe to "wing it" as far as lodging reservations. Or do the area hotels get pretty well booked up that time of year?

Level Contributor
1,391 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoky Mountain National Park

Well, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is becoming a bigger Spring Break destination lately. It won't be nearly as crowded as mid-summer or fall but it will be busy on weekends.

No, I wouldn't "wing-it" if I were going then, unless you don't mind staying in a dumpy motel. Always better to reserve something. Also, avoid Pigeon Forge during Rod Run week in mid-April..

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoky Mountain National Park

The two weeks surrounding Easter Sunday is usually the busiest time in the area, as many of the northern schools take their spring breaks then.

Also, as stated above, the Rod Run weekend (4/11 & 4/12) in Pigeon Forge will be insanely busy and I would avoid at all costs.

There's dozens of hotels to stay at in the area that time of year, but if you are particular about your lodging, I would find a place and make ressies. What sort of lodging are you needing?

I can personally recommend the following locations as places I've stayed in the past year and liked very well in Pigeon Forge: Music Road Hotel & Inn, the Inn on the River, Mainstay Suites.

I can personally recommend the Hilton Garden Inn in Gatlinburg as well.

What town are you wanting to be in?

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoky Mountain National Park

In the past twenty-some years we've stayed at 2 motels in Pig/forge exclusively, CREEKSTONE INN on S River Rd and TWIN MOUNTAIN RESORTS, behind CREEKSTONE on the opposite side of the river. We recommend both motels. Both are reasonably priced.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoky Mountain National Park

B.T.W. Twin Mountain resorts motel is located directly next door to "Twin Mountain Campground"

nashville
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoky Mountain National Park

whenever we're not backpacking we always rent a cabin in the area since they're not more expensive then a decent hotel usually and they're not located amid the madness on the strip. the area is so oversaturated with cabins that they're pretty much never full. the last few times we've done this we actually ended-up booking the week of and still had lots to choose from.

that said, why wait? ...one less thing to worry about.

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
538 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoky Mountain National Park

I originally had a similar trip planned for early April, then the end of April. In looking at hotel rooms, I had a few that said certain rooms were close to being booked up. Might be a sales tactic, but I wouldn't just "wing it." I would get firm reservations either at a cabin or a hotel type place in Gatlinburg. Also, seriously consider what hikes you want to do. I changed my trip to the area for late summer because I'm worried it will be too cold in the upper elevations. Just a warning to make sure you have proper clothing because something I've read on-line is to prepare for higher elevation temps to be 15-20 degrees colder than temps in Gatlinburg/lower elevations.

Knoxville, Tennessee
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoky Mountain National Park

Agree on the cabin as stated above. Book one to get out of the madness there are plenty in the area.

8. Re: Smoky Mountain National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...