We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala National Park - Temperature X Proper Clothing

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Haleakala National Park - Temperature X Proper Clothing

Hello all,

Only 3 more days for my trip. Can't wait....

Reading some old topics regarding temperature etc at the park, I am not sure what type of clothing I should wear, [ OK no high heels or skirt lol]. but based on what I am reading, it seems I should wear pants all day long, it is correct? will the weather change to be really hot? My original plan was to wear shorts and have a wind pants on top of it just for the early morning as we are planning to drive to the summit for the sunrise.

Thanks again for your patience with all my questions.

Take care!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala National Park - Temperature X Proper Clothing

Temperature at the summit at sunrise will be at least 30 degree's cooler than sea level. Add the wind and it can be very chilly. We're talking as low as in the 40's!! Shorts, never would I wear shorts at sunrise, maybe during the middle of the day. I always wear jeans, shoes and socks, coat and hat. I dress in layers and start shedding after the sun is way up!! You need something warmer than wind pants for sure!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala National Park - Temperature X Proper Clothing

High's this time of year on Haleakala are about 66. You also might be a little cold with just shorts and wind pants in the early morning. You may be comfortable in shorts the rest of the day though.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
525 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala National Park - Temperature X Proper Clothing

At sunrise, the summit will be really cold. I've found that long trousers, long sleeves, and a hat to cover my ears keeps me comfy. I also usually bring a beach towel to throw over my shoulders. Are you planning on staying at the summit all day? Many people head straight back to the beach after sunrise, but are you planning on hiking around? It will definitely get warmer, and the sun feels really intense up there at 10,000 feet. It can also be very windy. So plan on layers - and if you need to change clothes after the sun comes up, there's a nice restroom at the summit.

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala National Park - Temperature X Proper Clothing

Thanks for the feedbacks.

I will make sure to have more layers on. We were planning to spend the day, and for sure you answered my question. Where to change my clothes

lol

Thanks Again.

5. Re: Haleakala National Park - Temperature X Proper Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Haleakala National Park