We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy is the sunrise event?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
308 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
How busy is the sunrise event?

We are planning to drive to the summit for stargazing before watching the sunrise then driving to kula lodge for breakfast. How busy is this event in December? Is it bumper to bumper trying to get back down the mountain? Is Kula Lodge a 2 hour wait for breakfast? How many bike tours go on a given day for sunrise?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,035 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy is the sunrise event?

I've never seen it bumper to bumper coming down. Perhaps because we stick around a bit after the event!! Never had any problems with getting into the Kula Lodge either. I would imagine there are just a couple of bike tours. I don't think it would be any more than 4 at the most. They take them up for the sunrise in a van and then drive them a ways down the mountain before they start their tour. It's going to be cold up there in December. Dress warmly and in layers as you will be shedding clothes on the way down!!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
145 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy is the sunrise event?

Being stargazers, you will beat the pack getting up there. Just have a nice space blanket due to potential wind chills.

Depending upon when in December, early in the month is not as busy as later towards the holidays.

There are a few places on the road to pull over and let people go by or you can just wait for the majority of the tours to leave.

Sorry, don't know about waits at the Lodge.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy is the sunrise event?

You will need more than a blanket to enjoy the stars, Dec when the early morning temps will be in the high 30s with wind chill to factor in.. Best to have layers with the top layer a wind barrier. I always have wool socks, wool mittens , ear wrap or ski cap, silk long johns, several layerst shirts, fleece vest then my wind barriers jacket and pants..for our evening star gazing until midnight. It's worth it to enjoy the heavenlys...

We go for sunset, have picnic at twilight then star gaze.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy is the sunrise event?

Well, considering it's one of the more popular things to do, it's pretty busy! Traffic going down won't be bad, but if you want a good spot on the observation deck, and a good parking spot in the parking lot, go a little early!

5. Re: How busy is the sunrise event?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Haleakala National Park