We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather on Haleakala

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather on Haleakala

I was hoping to get to Haleakala for the sunrise on our trip to Maui next week. However, if the weather doesn't look good, we might sleep in and go later in the morning. Any advice for how to read the weather report for that area? If they call for showers Wed Night or Thursday morning, do you have any suggestions for how that could affect the sunrise? I found the Maui Weather Today link from another post already, is that the best source once we get to Maui? I know I'm asking a lot by trying to predict nature, but any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather on Haleakala

Haleakala is a national park, I would call and try to speak with a ranger.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather on Haleakala

Check the Mauiweathertoday.com site the night before.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather on Haleakala

I look to see see from any angle I can, from any place on Maui, if the top of the mountain is visible I go.

Even if it's raining on the way there if you saw the top popping through the clouds

on you way over it will likely be clear at the summit.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather on Haleakala

On the weather site Mamma listed Glenn has a link to the webcam on top of the summit. Of course at night you can't tell much but if it's raining you will see raindrops on the lens.

Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather on Haleakala

We went this morning and let me tell you that the wind was BRUTAL!!!!!! Although I believe they have a wind advisory so perhaps today was worse than normal.. I wouldn't let the clouds deter you but I had long johns, jogging pants, 2 pair of socks and 3 layers up top along with scarf, gloves, and North Face jacket and I was still cold!!!! Couldn't feel my fingers after a while to press camera button. So glad I suffered through the pain to see such an amazing experience though and one you should experience in Maui.

One recommendation we received was to bring a flashlight - you definitely need one as it is very dark and you have stairs to go up and the top summit.

Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather on Haleakala

We went this morning and let me tell you that the wind was BRUTAL!!!!!! Although I believe they have a wind advisory so perhaps today was worse than normal.. I wouldn't let the clouds deter you but I had long johns, jogging pants, 2 pair of socks and 3 layers up top along with scarf, gloves, and North Face jacket and I was still cold!!!! Couldn't feel my fingers after a while to press camera button. So glad I suffered through the pain to see such an amazing experience though and one you should experience in Maui.

One recommendation we received was to bring a flashlight - you definitely need one as it is very dark and you have stairs to go up and the top summit.

Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather on Haleakala

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,119 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather on Haleakala

abbaTexas.... I think your fingers are still partially frozen as you are still having trouble with some buttons!

Glad it was all worth it for you though. I have been four times to Maui and have yet to get up there for sunrise... or sunset for that matter! I prefer the day!

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,053 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather on Haleakala

The best thing you can do is watch Glenn's reports, but even then, it could be wonderful when starting out and miserable by the time you get up there. Of course, it could also be the other way around.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather on Haleakala

Thanks for the tips! I picked up a flashlight already from a few other posts I read and will make sure to pack warm clothes. I have a feeling I'll have so many layers on I'll look like the little brother from "A Christmas Story".

Thanks for the tip on the wind advisory, we'll take that into account when we make our final decision if we should go early or what until later.

Mahalo!

Get answers to your questions about Haleakala National Park