We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parka rentals??

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Parka rentals??

I'm not lugging pants, jacket, beanie, gloves etc 3000 miles for 1 morning of sunrise....Someone on that island is sure to have thought of this rental service, no?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parka rentals??

I wore jeans and a heavy sweatshirt. I was fine. I suggest also taking a blanket from your room. Some hotels offer blankets to guests as well that are going to be doing the sunrise.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parka rentals??

LOL....I'm Alaskan so I would wear capris, t-shirt and flip-flops! Just bring a light jacket and blanket from the condo/hotel and you should be fine. Wear long pants on the plane and they will keep you warm. Growing up in Fairbanks, AK means I will never be cold anywhere in Hawaii! Deb

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,611 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parka rentals??

You could probably go to one of the thrift shops and buy something cheap. Some of the tours offer jackets but I don't know of anywhere to rent one.

The summit of Haleakala can be very cold, I'm originally from Colorado so do know cold when you are at 10,000 feet. It will be on an average, 30 degrees cooler than at sea level. The biggest concern is wind chill, it can cut right through you. Going up there at sunrise in capris and flip flops is foolhardy.

It can and does snow up there during the winter months.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parka rentals??

weather.com/weather/…USHI0103

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parka rentals??

Take several large yard trash bags in your luggage, Cut a hole for your head. Stop the wind. Layers help.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parka rentals??

msfuzz.....ok, you're right. Hiking shoes would be much better. :-) I hope to report back on Haleakala and if I did get cold in my trip report. Another thing I have to talk my guy into doing with me.....at least we get up notoriously early!

Barefoot....awesome idea with the garbage bags. Weighs nothing and stops big wind! Deb

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,611 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parka rentals??

When I go up to the summit in the winter months I wear socks and sneakers, jeans, long sleeve shirt, winter jacket, hat and gloves. If you wear layers, you will be shedding on the way down. Time of year and time of day can make a big difference up there!!

8. Re: Parka rentals??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2013, 10:17