We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

Livermore...
Level Contributor
69 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

Ok my husband surprised me. I've been wanting to do the sunrise thing the last two trips but he hasn't been that in to it. Last night he surprised me and mentioned doing the Sunrise thing. We are leaving in two days Oct 10th, and I have done little research. I never bring walking shoes just keen sandals. WE are checking one bag in not sure how full it will be but decided not to bring snorkel gear this time. Is thicker windbreaker enough with sweatshirt under? Maybe socks to wear under keen sandals?Gloves?Hat?Jeans ok? Weather looks perfect for the time we will be there but I have read the warnings of extreme cold and wind. Other ideas of places to visit on our way down and back to Kihei would be appreciated. Thanks for the help. Back to cleaning the house now.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
69 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

Ok I went to weather channel for weather report at Haleakala. How accurate? Any other weather forecast websites for Haleakala? I'm just trying to pick the best day out of our 7 days in Maui. Thanks!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

Weather on the mountain changes constantly. You can't go by any weather channel, especially the weather channel!! It will be approx. 30 degrees cooler at the summit than at sea level. Temps at the summit at sunrise will probably be around the 40 degree mark. Add the wind and it makes for a very chilly morning. I would take at least a hat to add to what you have already listed. You will probably still be cold!! Stop by Kula Lodge for breakfast afterward, explore the upcountry area.

Best local web-site for weather: www.hawaiiweathertoday.com

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

Wool socks! Gloves or a pair of socks for the hands. Stocking type head covering. the sweatshirt with a windbreaker is on track. If you have thin long thermals under jeans or gym pants(what every you are wearing on plane) that will help. A couple of large trash bags don't take much room and you can step into one, tie around waist to cut the wind. It's the wind that's the killer. So think.. Stop the wind.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
69 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

Thank you.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

It probably depends on the weather you're accustomed to at home, but a wind breaker and sweatshirt should be ample, with some long pants and closed toe shoes. I was just up there for sunrise about a month ago, and I didn't think it was that cold, just chilly. I was wearing a thermal top and 3/4 sleeve sweater, hiking pants and summer hiking boots, with a hat and scarf. Although my friend (who lives in San Diego) was very cold. You could also bring along an extra beach towel to just wrap around your shoulders.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

We were at the Haleakala summit last Thursday (Oct. 4) -- not for sunrise but about 11:30 a.m. Temp at the top was 65 and bright sun (above gathering clouds about 2,000 feet below). Temp near Pukalani when we turned uphill was 81.

We took light jackets and sweaters, but didn't use them. T-shirts and aloha shirts were comfy enough.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 05:32
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

It looks like you are from the Bay area and are probably use to chilly temperatures, so I think you will be fine with what you are bringing. But as others have suggested, grab the blankets from the bed and put them in the car just in case.

On the way down you could visit the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm. It is not the most exciting destination, but it smells great and is very relaxing. You can also buy pricey lavender products to take back with you. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

The Institute for Astronomy, Maui will give you the current weather. And they have some web cams to check out too. They don't give future forecasts though, just the current weather. It is 47 degrees right now...

www.ifa.hawaii.edu/haleakalanew/weather.shtml

Livermore...
Level Contributor
69 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

Thank you Jimmie. We are from east bay and visit Tahoe in winter so we know cold.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 14:20
Livermore...
Level Contributor
69 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haleakala Sunrise clothing Packing/trip tips Please

Thank you Jimmie. We are from east bay and visit Tahoe in winter so we know cold. Excellent website, that will be very helpful. :)