We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon Rising...

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Full Moon Rising...

We will be in Maui during a Full Moon, wondering if that could be awesome enough to make a trip up there? Thanks. (Haleakala)

Edited: 04 September 2013, 18:57
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Moon Rising...

Never thought about going up to the summit of Haleakala to see a full moon. Going up there for sunset and being able to see infinite stars is the draw. A full moon will dim that somewhat. Interesting thought though!!

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Moon Rising...

msfuzz, on this topic: Is the sunset as lovely as the sunrise? I want to do both, but alas that long drive to the summit. Thanks.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Moon Rising...

Just for the record, either the sunrise or sunset can be blocked by clouds and you may not know it till you get to the summit.

Agree with mzfuzz, if it is full moon you will lose some of the billions of stars you can see up there at night.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Moon Rising...

Yes, being star deprived in metro DC I was sorta sad that I booked when the moon was so full, oh well, can't think of everything....

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,067 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Moon Rising...

Gl, as I've mentioned before.........you will be stunned at our night skies.

I happen to love watching the moon come up at the summit. It's an eerie experience as it lights the clouds and sometimes parts of the crater.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Moon Rising...

I've been up to the summit at both sunrise and sunset. I was absolutely blown away by the sunrise and the sunset was OK. Others mileage varies!! Different strokes for different folks. Go when it's the most expedient for you, you will love it no matter what.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Moon Rising...

This is an awesome question! Thanks for asking. I wonder if anyone has taken a picture of such that could post us a link.

I went up Haleakala a number of years back to see sunrise. It was super BUT mighty COLD.

Now I've always wanted to see "A Bad Moon Rising, But I Was Afraid It Would Take My Life!" ;)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,067 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Full Moon Rising...

People may enjoy scrolling through the Park's Facebook page:

https:/…348662787511

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Full Moon Rising...

^ Dude, now you've got Creedence stuck in my head. :)

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Full Moon Rising...

I did the moonrise 2 years ago. Best time is just before sunset at the same time the moon is rising full. It Does not happen that often as the moon rises about 50 min later everyday. This way you get a moon rise and sunset. I suppose you can do it the other way around too but one sunrise was enough for me.