We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

Hi everyone,

We are staying 5 nights in Lahaina in January. I am mostly interested in the 7 sacred pools area of the Haleakala national park and doing some hiking there to see waterfalls. Problem is that we really are not interested in taking the road to hana to get there. We don't want to deal with traffic, crazy drivers and really don't want to make any stops on the way. Google maps is showing we can go around the other side of the island. I know there is approx. a 5 mile area where the road is not paved. So is it smart to go that route to reach the park or no?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,015 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

Once you are on Maui, I would check the prohibited uses in the terms and conditions of your car rental contract to see if driving on unpaved roads is a prohibited use, before making a decision about driving the south route to Oheo Gulch.

I would also check the weather forecast the day before or that morning ... it's not a good route to do if there are heavy rains.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

No it's not really a good idea and really your car rental company would prefer you didn't if something happens while you are driving that area you will more than likely be held responsible for the damages.

There are numerous threads about this on here do a search.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 03:08
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,758 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

Devan, that way saves you less than a half hour, IF you don't run into trouble on the prohibited section. You could always drive the Road to Hana, straight through, in just a few hours. The Pipiwai Trail (trail head is at Oheo Gulch) is a further half an hour past the town of Hana. The hike is two hours return. And then, you can make some stops on the way back. The black sand beach is worth a stop, as is Keanae peninsula. Even with these two stops, after the hike, you are looking at a long day.

Kihei Car Rental allows their JEEPS on this route, not their cars.

January is rainy season, and I wouldn't want to take a chance on that back road that time of year at all. Do check the weather report before you head out, regardless of which way you choose to go. The RTH does close down occasionally throughout the year due to tropical storms and rain.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

Short answer? NO! You will be risking your rental contract and there is really no difference in the time involved. Bottom line if you want to visit the Oheo Gulch (there are no sacred pools) and hike the trail you need to drive the Road to Hana and return.

Had you asked a little differently I would advised skipping BOTH Haleakala and the Road to Hana on such a short trip. Pick one or the other. Google maps is a day late and more than a dollar short on times for driving on island. Great for viewing the roads and giving you an idea, but it has no concept of the times involved.

Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

Ok so if we leave really early like 7 am will there be less traffic and take less time? We are avid hikers and I really just want to spend the day at the park and return before night falls.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

Yup..drive straight through to the park, do your hike and enjoy the pools and hit the waterfalls and other stops on the way back with the time you have left. Enjoy your trip!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

I would even leave earlier...we left at 6:00am...drove straight through and did the Pipiwai hike. Less traffic..but still some. We also went on the weekend so there weren't as many locals on the road driving to work. Then wedidabout 3 quick stops on way back home.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

I was going to say what travelbugged said... Lots of people start out at 7:00 a little earlier would be better.

And we did this as well two years ago and had a great time. The Pipiwai trail is awesome. We stopped at Coki beach on the way back.

I'd suggest you wait till you get to Maui and then choose a day that is likely to be dry for your hike. Have a great time.

dave

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

I'm with the others. 7:00am is a bit late to avoid others traveling along the Hana Hwy. We alway's left Kihei at 6:00am and it's at least an half an hour closer than anything on the west side. If it's been raining, which it does in January, check with the National Park Service to see if Oheo Gulch is even open.

mass
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we skip TRH from Lahaina?

I went the back way to the park it has to save at least 45 minutes. the road is like brand new for most of the way. I saw many cars ,tour buses and 3 or 4 maui highway work trucks on the road making the loop. the road is fine I have driven on worse paved roads than the short unpaved section. the views are out of this world, and the contrast from desert like lava to rain forest conditions happens right at the last turn. I was so nervous to go this way because of the forum, but once on the road you will be shocked how nice it is as was I .i will probably take heat for this but when I go back to maui I will take that road again.