We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
815 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

This might be a dumb question. I understand the Oheo Stream and Pools are closed. I know that means you can't go swimming in the pools but does that mean you can't hike the Pipiwai trail? Is it unsafe to be in the area? If so, any locals hear of it opening in the near future? I understand some of the equipment was damaged. We're arriving on Saturday and plan to do RTH early next week. The Pipiwai trail is pretty much the main reason why we are planning to drive RTH so if we can't hike Pipiwai trail, then I guess we'll have another beach day! Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,824 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

The pools at Oheo Gulch open and close quite frequently due to all kinds of different reasons. In no way should this closure effect the Pipiwai Trail. The only concern on the trail would be flash flooding. Just keep your eye on the weather report and you can also check with the park rangers when you get to Oheo Gulch.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

"In no way should this closure effect the Pipiwai Trail."

As a point of clarification, just because the trail isn't closed doesn't guarantee that you won't encounter any issues.

You'll cross the stream by wading or rock hopping shortly before you get to the falls. If the stream is high that may be anywhere from slightly risky to dangerously unsafe (of course the latter should be obvious to most people), and it may change rapidly. If there's any chance that it might be raining at higher elevations (and a safe assumption is that it might be), you should pay attention for an increase in streamflow over the falls or in the stream. I'm not positive that it's happened there since you don't get very far beyond the stream crossing, but people do get trapped on the wrong side of Hawaiian streams on a fairly regular basis.

Checking with the rangers is obviously a wise precaution, but for most people it will be at least another hour before they get to the stream crossing. Rainfall in that area can be caused by moist ocean air rising and cooling, rather than widespread storms or a front moving through, so just because it's a nice day and not raining now doesn't mean it won't change while you're hiking.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

In addition to checking the weather forecast the day before, and checking with the ranger once there, you could also call the park the day before if you are concerned about trail conditions. There is a phone number specifically for the Kipahulu section of the park: http://www.nps.gov/hale/contacts.htm

This site is good for checking the weather: www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/maui.php…

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
815 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

I'm assuming the rangers at the summit would be able to tell me if it's safe at Pipiwai? We're planning on doing the summit on Sunday and RTH/Pipiwai on Tuesday so we only have to pay one entrance fee, weather permitting of course.

The reason I'm so concerned is that my hubby will have our 14 month old in a backpack carrier. If the conditions are bad, I don't think it would be safe for us. Even hearing that we might have to "wade" makes me a bit nervous. We are active people but I don't want to do anything to put our child's life at risk.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,824 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

The weather at the summit and weather at Oheo Gulch can be very different. I would talk to the rangers at Oheo Gulch or use the link for the Kipahulu section Susan gave. We are heading into our dry season so the chances of flash flooding are going to be lower the further into the summer we get. You can hike the trail and when you get to the stream, you can decide whether it's safe or not for you and your family. There hasn't been a lot of problems (that I know of) with hiking this trail due to weather but it's always a good idea to keep your eyes and ears open.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,947 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

According to your post you are arriving this Saturday, correct? I would definitely use the number Susan gave you. They will let you know, but it is wise to be cautious. It is serious when there is flooding and rock/mud slides.

The area you have to wade through typically is not that deep- about ankle, but of course can change with conditions. It is right before the waterfall at the end and there are several ways you can go across so look to see what looks the best. There are no other areas that you are right by the stream unless you go off the trail.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g143033-d2…

Here are some pictures to look at of the trail.

I have been on the trail a number of times and in places footing can be uneven and slippery.

I would think twice about carrying a 14 mo old on that trail at least going the whole way

Maui
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

I think the best part of the trail is the bamboo forest. You get to see some smaller falls on the way. As mentioned, you don't have to wade across the two streams. The first one yes, that gets you up to where you can see the falls. You can opt not to do the second one. Besides, they tell you not to go close to the falls, because rocks could fall.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,947 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

I completely agree with Snorkel Lady...the bamboo is fabulous. It is a very well groomed trail. We only crossed the first stream as well and just looked at the waterfall from back. I am attaching my blog from our hike of the falls so you can see it. The picture of my kids by the smaller falls- they were off the main trail a bit...so you never have to get that close, even though they weren't that close also.

jenjenchitchat.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
815 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dumb question - Oheo stream and Pipiwai trail

Thanks for the info everyone! We really want to see the Bamboo forest so it's good to know we can see that without being in too much danger.

Travelbugged, your RTH day sounds to be exactly what we want to do.

Get answers to your questions about Haleakala National Park