We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Hilo and VNP for 2 days - should I pack umbrella?

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Hilo and VNP for 2 days - should I pack umbrella?

Is it necessary to pack a raincoat or umbrella for my visit to Hilo (1 day) and VNP (1 day)? The rest of my trip will be visiting the west coast of the BI and Maui and I know I won't need to worry about rain there.

Also, how cold does it get in VNP? Getting mixed results from weather websites for Vocano. Will be there Sept. 8 & 9. (5 days and counting!)

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
690 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Hilo and VNP for 2 days - should I pack umbrella?

Pack a small fold out umbrella, or thin fold up raincoat, either one will take up very little room and will do you fine. As for the heat you have the warm time of year but it is cooler, damper and a little higher in altitude so don't bring just t shirt and shorts.....

Asharoken, LI
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Hilo and VNP for 2 days - should I pack umbrella?

We were in Volcano last week. The temperature when we left Hilo was a muggy 84 degrees. A bit less than an hour later it was 69 degrees.

In the morning it was 59-60. By mid-day on a sunny day it got up to about 72. However, because of the strong tropical sun, it didn't feel as cold as that sounds. We packed pants and windbreakers (we used them for Haleakala summit and needed them then). I think you would be comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt and put on and peel off a windbreaker or sweatshirt as needed throughout the day.

And you do want that umbrella in Hilo.

Sydney
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Hilo and VNP for 2 days - should I pack umbrella?

I agree! It rains almost every afternoon so a small umbrella wuld be good - or a raincoat if you don't mind getting a little wet. In saying that, it's not really heavy rain...a constant sprinkle!The summit is cold if you go up there, but for the most part the national park is pretty muggy!

Get answers to your questions about Hawaii Volcanoes...