We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

California
Level Contributor
38 posts
464 reviews
Save Topic
Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

Hi,

My family is on Kauai this week, and we are wondering if it is possible and practical to do a day trip over to the Big Island to see flowing lava.

Many years ago, I was a able to walk a short distance from the Chain of Crators road and get right up to a nice surface flow. I could literally get as close as the heat would allow, and watch it flow and pool. It was one of the most spectactular and profound experiences of my life. I would love for my wife and son to be able to have the same experience!!

My son is only 10, and my wife isn't a very hard core hiker, so the total round trip walk couldn't be more than a few miles.

What is the current state of the flow? Can you easily walk right up to it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

There is currently no visible surface flow and hasn't been for a couple of weeks.

You would need to take a helicopter trip to see any red magma.

There is nothing currently like what was going on at Chain of Craters. That area is dead of activity now.

You can follow the park website for viewing updates:

www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

The USGS site also usually has photos of activity:

hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html

California
Level Contributor
38 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

Thanks for the info!!

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
549 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

All of the crater hikes were closed when we were there Jul. 3 this year because of sulfur emissions as well as the Crater Rim Road (part was open so you could get to the Chain of Craters Road.) Even the county viewing place only allowed people to view a "glow" after dark. We did see lava from the helicopter and felt the heat with the doors off (Paradise Helicopters) but I don't think that the 10 year old would really get it since it is all gray (from the cooled "skin") with only a small red line visible around the edges. The lava isn't even going into the sea so there is nothing to see there either. Maybe next visit. . . .

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,586 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

kooikermom, thanks for the update. I had noticed you mentioned the crater on your TR. For two years now, it's been closed about half way round, from Jaggar Museum and continuing anti-clockwise, but Devastation Trail and Kilauea Iki hikes have been open, at least most of the time.

So you're saying those were closed for you?

J&B, sorry, you've just hit a poor time for surface flows except from the air. The surface situation does change day to day. Up to 2-3 months ago, there was good viewing from afar at Kalapana, but factors stopped the ocean entry that had been going since June of '08. That's the volcano for you, dynamic.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

Able to see a little fresh flow no red last Wednesday. A few skylights visible from helicopter, but not much else. Any views from Kalapana? Hoping to catch something before we leave Friday.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,586 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp…

FYI topic and Lavaguyd did an update today too.

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
33 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

Surface viewing changes very quickly. As it happens, there was a surface break out of some magnitude several days ago. Lots of lava flowed out, came close to burying a home at Kalapana, and drew hundreds of people to the viewing area at Kalapana.

Whether the flow increases again or will decrease remains a mystery.

8. Re: Easy surface lava flow viewing this week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hawaii Volcanoes...