We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat ride to see Lava Flow

Colorado
Level Contributor
248 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Boat ride to see Lava Flow

I don't think we can afford a helicopter tour...someone suggested a boat ride to see lava flow to the sea...can anyone make suggestions on tour company? best time of day/night to go on tour? do people think it's worth it? or is exploring VNP on the gound, on our own, just fine for 2 days?...thanks, Ana

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat ride to see Lava Flow

Spend time at Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park. It's a big place and there is a great deal to see. Helicopter tour would be second.

Lava boats are unlicensed and uninsured and an unnecessary risk. No guarantee you'd see anything other than the side of the boat from seasickness and get a bad hacking cough from the acid fumes.

The "someone" who recommended a lava boat does not have your best interest at heart. Ignore them in the future.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 17:08
Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat ride to see Lava Flow

Lava boats have become quite the controversy on TA. Just type in Lava Boats in the search box, and you will find many topics about it.

Bottom line they have been known to deceive their customers about the risks involved and what to expect. There is a lot they wont tell you.

Regardless of whether or not it fits what you are looking for, there is no lava currently flowing into the ocean.

Colorado
Level Contributor
248 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat ride to see Lava Flow

THANK you, I certainly appreciate your comments...the person who told me about the lava boat tours said she "wished" she had done one of them when she was there in Oct, but had not...when I googled, there were so many, it seemed like a big business...had no idea it was controversial so thanks for your feedback...ana

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat ride to see Lava Flow

Just read their DISCLAIMER on their web sites and you will see how much their care for you and your safety.

5. Re: Boat ride to see Lava Flow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 10:20