We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

altitude

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
altitude

I would like to see the volcanoes, but I will get altitude sickness at the visitors center. If we go just to the Volcano House Hotel and the Jaggar Museum, both at about 4000 feet above sea level, will we be able to get to those places without going through any areas of higher elevation? And will we see enough from those vantage points to satisfy the desire to see a volcano? Also, does anyone get sick at 4,000 feet? thanks so much!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: altitude

4000' is less than the pressurization of the cabin on your flight over. Yes, you can get good views of the crater from Volcano House and the Jaggar. Do try to get to the Jaggar after dark to see the glow from the pit.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: altitude

I realize you are inquiring about VNP...however issues in regard to Altitude sickness are usually tied to visiting Mauna Kea.

A little info:

…hawaii.edu/info/vis/visiting-mauna-kea/heal…

Altitude is a tricky thing....some folks are affected at lower levels whilst others are not. Consult your Physician, especially if you do not enjoy good health.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: altitude

I think you are confused. The visitors center at VNP is at the same elevation as Volcano House and Jaggar. It sounds like you're confusing the Visitors Center at Mauna Kea (a completely different mountain and not an active volcano) with the Kilauea Visitors Center.

At any rate very few people get altitude sickness at 4000' feet. As far as satisfying your desire to see a volcano, that depends on what you hope to see. It's certainly an impressive Park in many ways, but it is not the conical, lava spewing Hollywood scene people expect to see. Most surface lava can only be seen by the air or long, guided hikes. At least at this point in time.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 21:52
ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: altitude

Thanks everyone. Yes, SheaG, you're correct. I mixed up the two visitors centers. I'm happy to learn that I will be able to handle this part of the trip. I do have health issues, but I don't like when that stops me from things. It still sounds like it is worth taking the day and night to spend at HVNP even if I can't do any strenuous activities and don't go above 4000 feet or so. Would you agree? thanks

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: altitude

Definitely worth spending a day and night at the park.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
851 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: altitude

If your health issues involve respiratory problems, you should check the air quality at Volcanoes National Park before you go up there. If the wind blows in the wrong direction, the air quality can be bad, so call ahead to make sure.

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: altitude

If the air quality is bad, would that prohibit me from staying at the Volcano House Hotel? Or would I be able to be indoors there without a problem? thank you

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: altitude

Air quality at Volcano House would be worse than Volcano Village. VH is right on the crater, but prevailing winds blow gases away from VV. Inside and outside are the same here unless you are in an A/C climate controlled interior. Air con is not necessary in chilly Volcano.

With your concerns, I would stay the extra distance from the source of the fumes. It's only five minutes to Kilauea Lodge, for example of a VV lodging.

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: altitude

I was really hoping to stay in a crater view room. Maybe I will reserve one and have a backup plan in mind. I am traveling in April. If my backup plan was to find a room in VV that day, do you think I'd have a good chance of getting one? Also, is air quality predictable at all (will I be able to find out the day before, for example)? thanks

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: altitude

>> If my backup plan was to find a room in VV that day, do you think I'd have a good chance of getting one? <<

Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it in Volcano. I think most of the lodgings up there require more than a one-night stay.

>> Also, is air quality predictable at all (will I be able to find out the day before, for example)? <<

You should have a pretty good idea the day before, but nothing is ever certain at the volcano.