We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go to see lava flowing?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go to see lava flowing?

Is there lava currently flowing? If so, where does one need to go to see lava flowing? Thanks.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

Please read the Lava Viewing 2013 topic, the top post for general info and links and the end of the topic from say September.

You can post additional questions in that topic, and please say when you will be here.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,316 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

Please read the Lava Viewing top question which had up to date info. I am traveling and have not been reading the forum for a few days but last I heard there were not any accessible surface lava flows. You can still see the glow from the lava lake insides Halema'uma'u by driving to Jaggar Museum inside the park after dark.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

I was checking a website for a tour we don't recommend a couple days ago, and they are offering the high elevation hike that is almost certainly in the Closed Reserve. I won't give them promotion by naming them.

The closed reserve issue is all talked about in the top question. Please don't go there.

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

Its a shame that they are still offering those tours. This just makes it obvious that authorities are not doing anything to stop them, which encourages those who break the rules to be rewarded, and those who follow the rules to be left with a feeling of missing out.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 21:33
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

Yeah. btw this is another company than the one mentioned on the Lava Viewing topic. They always did offer a Puʻu Oʻo tour, which is why we donʻt recommend them.

It sounds like a rough hike, for the fittest only.

Those who follow the rules are banking good karma! :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,799 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

I find it appalling that the Hawai`i tourism office features a lava boat tour in their TV ads. I've written to them repeatedly about it, but of course, nothing has changed.

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

Yes, pzp, I've noticed that, too.

It's really blatant and they should be taken to task for it.

Houston
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

Sigh. Visiting in December and we were really hoping to see Lava (safely, of course). Are there often long periods of "no surface flow"?

Do you think the helicopter tours are still worth doing?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,799 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

DDDD, it's impossible to predict anything. Madam Pele operates on her own schedule.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go to see lava flowing?

There have in the past six years been periods of months at a time when lava was not legally accessible, but more time than not that it was, overall. But as pzp said, we merely wait and see; we cannot predict.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 02:10