We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you are hiking Mauna Loa, be prepared for snow

LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Topic
If you are hiking Mauna Loa, be prepared for snow

The kind of rescue rangers don't usually end up doing...

…sfgate.com/hawaii/…

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you are hiking Mauna Loa, be prepared for snow

Crazy, yeah? And to think I was frustrated to be stuck at work overnight due to snow :-). One question for anyone following this post ... the article I read referred to this guy getting a back country permit to "hike the park's (Mauna Loa) coast" ... where would that be? I am assuming NOT VNP but maybe south point or somewhere like that?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you are hiking Mauna Loa, be prepared for snow

I don't think they're referring to any "Mauna Loa coast", just the "... remote coastal area within the park’s 330,000-acre boundaries." as in Volcanoes National Park coastline. I've done the Halape coastline hike which ends at a beach where you camp and requires a backcountry permit. It was hard but at least no danger of whiteout!

It's cool at least this guy did everything right, as they said, he had a permit and was very fit. But it does go to show that even the very fit people can be caught off guard up there.

LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: If you are hiking Mauna Loa, be prepared for snow

He didn't take enough warm clothing, shelter , or food. He reportedly had been to the top before, so he was aware of the extremely windy, cold, and dry conditions. He's very lucky.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you are hiking Mauna Loa, be prepared for snow

We have a current poster who wants to hike up Mauna Loa, but I forget which topic it is in. I was thinking they should see this just to be aware.

Yes, Halape, as Shea says, is the sea level camping in VNP that is backpack in only and by wilderness permit.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you are hiking Mauna Loa, be prepared for snow

Yes, I directed him to this topic. He's talking about coming in late September and early October now though so it should be ok. It looks like a pretty awesome hike if you're in very good shape and accustomed to mountaineering. Too cold for me! :-)

6. Re: If you are hiking Mauna Loa, be prepared for snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 06:20