We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear while visiting VNP?

Kansas
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to wear while visiting VNP?

I will be in Hawaii next and plan to visit the Volcanoes National Park with my 7 and 8 year old. We would like to do some exploring but nothing too strenuous or off the park paths. Since it will be June, would wearing shorts, tshirts, jackets, and tennis shoes be appropriate? I don't want to buy any special hiking pants or wear/pack jeans if we don't have to, especially if it is rainy and we end up in wet jeans all day.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear while visiting VNP?

We just had shorts & tank tops on . . . it does get colder in the evening, so bringing a light jacket isn't a bad idea. And a light rain jacket is always a good idea. No need for jeans. :)

Edited: 13 June 2014, 17:56
California
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear while visiting VNP?

Like coal miner said, just bring a jacket incase it rains. Daily rain at the volcanos is normal.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear while visiting VNP?

Based on the recommendations of others, I brought a pair of jeans for our trip there earlier this week. Found I really didn't need them. Even in the evening shorts and a light jacket were just fine.

Edited: 13 June 2014, 18:37
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear while visiting VNP?

Well, one issue with shorts is if you fall. The lava rock is very unforgiving. Also shorts aren't very comfortable in the rain (but as you say neither are jeans). I wear very lightweight, quick dry pants in a sports material. Normal tennis shoes are fine but I like a little more ankle support on the terrain.

During the day it's likely to be quite warm, at night it can cool down quickly and with wind and rain, I personally would not be comfortable in shorts and tshirts.

Edited: 13 June 2014, 21:29
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear while visiting VNP?

The weather is highly variable. One person might hit a warm June day, while another might get rain and/or a chilly wind. There is no dry all the time season in Volcano (or in Hilo). Summer is dry some of the time, but two days ago it absolutely poured for part of the day.

Don't take any one person's one time or recent visit as typical, for that reason. Shea is speaking from years worth of visiting the VNP and experiencing the spectrum (as am I to some extent). Always be prepared. Always have a warm layer available should you need it. That's how people who live here do it.

Jeans are the wrong pants for a climate where you can get caught in the rain, very uncomfy when wet, as Shea mentions. You need the long pants to put a little protection between your skin and the elements, but it does not need to be denim by any means. Just as you might want a long sleeved garment, but wool would be overkill during the daytime.

There are restrooms at the VIS, where you can change if you arrive in shorts and rethink that approach. The ride there will be warm, unless you are staying in Volcano, so you probably don't want to spend the drive in your VNP clothes.

Edited: 14 June 2014, 01:23
6. Re: What to wear while visiting VNP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:17