We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joshua Tree - This Weekend

San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Joshua Tree - This Weekend

We booked a campsite at the Black Rock camp ground for this Saturday night. Every time I view the forecast for Yucca Valley (I think that's closest to the campsite), the expected weather gets worse. Currently, they're predicting a 30% chance of rain showers and a high wind watch for Saturday.

Is anyone familiar with the weather in the Joshua Tree region? If it rains, does it usually pour all day? Can the wind really get that bad? I'm not at all familiar with desert weather.

We're from San Diego so it's a 3 hour drive. I'm all packed and paid the small camping fee so I'd really like to go but we could push back the trip to another weekend and only lose $15.

Any thoughts?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,226 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joshua Tree - This Weekend

30% is nothing to worry about either in San Diego or the in desert. If it got to 80% it may rain, it may not. I wouldn't worry about it.I'm going out there this weekend myself.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,226 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Joshua Tree - This Weekend

What you could do is call the park late Friday afternoon, or early Saturday and ask about current conditions. Looks like wind is a possibility.

(760)367-5500

USA
Level Contributor
381 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joshua Tree - This Weekend

oh Dez, if you end up going this weekend, take more notes and pictures for me (heehee) .

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joshua Tree - This Weekend

Hello Katie, and welcome to the Joshua Tree National Park forum.

Here in the Antelope Valley 120 miles west of Joshua Tree National Park the National Weather Service is forecasting an 80 per cent chance of rain Saturday. In Yucca Valley, the NWS is forecasting a 40 per cent chance of rain Saturday. Looks like a lot better chance of tolerable weather at Joshua Tree National Park than it is further west where I am.

And yes, do contact the park directly for current conditions.

5. Re: Joshua Tree - This Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 10:19