We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleep Location Help, drive distance

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Topic
Sleep Location Help, drive distance

Hi

I plan to visit Joshua Tree National Park for one day and then drive to Grand Canyon.

Trip duration is 3 hours, I would like to do most of the driving at night so I can arrive early to Grand Canyon any suggestion where to sleep

Thanks

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleep Location Help, drive distance

I am confused . . . so could you be more specific, please. [By the way, I really know 29 Palms and Joshua Tree Nat Park.]

When are you planning this trip? What time of year?

Why do you want to travel at night through a vast abyss and desolate desert where there will likely be NO CELL PHONE SIGNAL, no services, no gas, no food places for approximately the first two hours east of 29 Palms? After that, there might be a town or a "wide spot in the road -- blink and you have missed the town* until you get on Interstate 40 and get to Needles, CA near the state line of California and Arizona. Late at night it would be surprising if any place in the middle of the desert would even be open for business until you get to Needles, CA or Kingman, AZ . . . just saying, Exercise caution in the night on a less traveled road with little or no other traffic, and no cell phone reception either for two hours. However, it will be cooler traveling at night if you are planning for summer.

What do you mean when you write: *trip duration is 3 hours*?

Do you think the trip from Joshua Tree National Park to Grand Canyon National Park will take only 3 hours to drive? Or do you mean that you do not want to drive more than 3 hours, and then sleep somewhere on the way to Grand Canyon? Then drive 3 more hours and arrive at Grand Canyon National Park? Kingman, Arizona is pretty close to the half way point if you want to overnight some place. Then start early the next morning and drive the final 3 hours to the South Rim of Grand Canyon.

What do you mean when you write: *arrive EARLY to Grand Canyon*? What is early? Sunrise? 8:00 in the morning?

Sorry to ask so many questions . . . just trying to get a better sense of what you are thinking.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,092 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleep Location Help, drive distance

Your post does not make much sense. Not sure what you mean by the three hour duration.Its probably close to 6 hours from JTNP to the GC.

Depending on which route you take, options for hotels are sort of limited.

You can cut across Amboy Road to I-40, or head east on 62 to either CA 95 or AZ 95.

Lodging can be at Needles if you go via Amboy or CA 95 or if you head east on 62, cross the river to Parker or up to Havasu. Or continue over to Kingman or even further to Seligman.

You do have Grand Canyon reservations in place?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleep Location Help, drive distance

Hi

First of all thanks for your help, i will try to write more clearly

I plan to visit the area in September, i will arrive to "Joshua Tree National Park" from san diago, and sleep in lake havasu (2 days). In the next day i planned to driver to Grand canyon which take 3.5 hour driver according to google. i want to know if there another good place to sleep in the second day closer to grand canyon

Regards

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,092 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleep Location Help, drive distance

Do the drive from Havasu to GC in one day. Then stay inside the park at GC.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Make reservations NOW as it can sell out up to a year in advance.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleep Location Help, drive distance

Instead of Lake Havasu, AZ you might consider staying overnight in Kingman, AZ which is on Interstate 40, or further east on Interstate 40 there is Williams, AZ. From Williams to South Rim is only one hour approximately.

In September the weather can still be very hot in the California and Arizona deserts and yes, even at night (other deserts also), SO HAVE PLENTY OF DRINKING WATER WITH YOU (At least 3 or 4 bottles of drinking water per person).

Desert Survival: If your vehicle malfunctions, or has a flat tire, etc. stay with your vehicle, especially if there is no cell phone reception -- DO NOT start walking to get help. Wait for someone to stop, and help you, or for them to notify the highway patrol to come and help you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleep Location Help, drive distance

thank you very much for your help

7. Re: Sleep Location Help, drive distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Joshua Tree National...