We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo visit to Joshua Tree NP

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo visit to Joshua Tree NP

Hi,

I'll be travelling from LA to Las Vegas in mid August as part of a 3 week backpacking trip. I would love to visit Joshua Tree en route - maybe do a bit of bouldering and camp overnight (I realise that it will be very hot at that time). The major problem is that I can't drive so will be relying on public transport. Does anybody know of any company that does overnight visits to the park - maybe from Palm springs?? i could then organise the rest of the journey independently. Thanks for your help.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo visit to Joshua Tree NP

Han,

Joshua Tree National Park is what I would consider a *primitive* national park. < I grew up about 4 miles from the Twentynine Palms entrance gate when it was still a national monument and basically nothing changed in the way of visitor services when it received national park status >

By being *primitive* I mean that there is absolutely no drinking water, or water of any kind for visitor use and the toilets are dry/vault-style inside the national park except for Black Rock Campground (near Yucca Valley, CA) and Cottonwood (near Interstate 10 and Indio).

There is no lodge inside the park, no food, and no camper store of any kind inside the national park.

I do not live there any longer and so I do not know of any tour companies that go to the national park. I would be very surprised if there are any. This park is one that visitors drive to in a vehicle.

Maybe someone will answer with the information you are seeking. I merely wanted to give you a *heads up*

Edited: 20 July 2013, 15:23
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,697 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo visit to Joshua Tree NP

There are tours out of Palm Springs, but finding an overnight trip may be a challenge.

Desert Adventures goes there.

www.red-jeep.com

There is a Hummer tour that goes there too. The unique thing about this is they go the back way into JTNP via Berdoo Canyon, on a dirt road/sandy wash rather than Hwy 62 to the park.

www.adventurehummer.com

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo visit to Joshua Tree NP

Thanks guys. I may just consider a day trip by jeep/4W.

Loved your description of JT 'NotafanofTA'. I think the desolate nature of the park is what appeals!

Will post here if I find another way...

4. Re: Solo visit to Joshua Tree NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Joshua Tree National...