We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far along Harding Icefield trail until you get views?

New York City
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How far along Harding Icefield trail until you get views?

I love hiking, and am very excited by the prospect of hiking to see the Harding Icefield. The problem is that the rest of my family is not so in-shape and think it sounds like too much. That includes my wife and our boys ages 13 and 6. We may just split up, with me doing the hike while they go to the Seward Sea Life Center and other activities in the area.

But if I can convince them that even if they don't make it all the way to the end it could still be worth it, then they might go for it. So my question is: how far of the about 4 miles one-way and 3000 feet of elevation gain do you have to go through until the views open up?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
112 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far along Harding Icefield trail until you get views?

We (50 yo, 3-20yo's) recently hiked the first 2.3 miles of the trail. It is steep and rocky. Once at that point, above treeline, (edge of the cliff, I believe it was called) the views of the glacier were spectacular. The trail on the the way up also offers beautiful views of the valley below as long as the sky is clear.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,125 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far along Harding Icefield trail until you get views?

I think just 1 mile and maybe 1,000 ft. elevation gain, if that, will give you some great views of both the glacier and the valley below. If you do the entire hike, figure 6-8 hours.

3. Re: How far along Harding Icefield trail until you get views?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Kenai Fjords National...