We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report with Pictures

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
417 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report with Pictures

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Although most of our trip was through Oregon, we did manage a couple days at Lassen. What a great and underrated park. I was getting worried about the main road being open but we made it through. We made two different stops though Lassen on this vacation.

We spent most of July 27 at Lassen on our way from Burney to Medford. On the way back to Reno, we spend parts on August 6-7 in Lassen, staying in Chester on the 6th. I have two different picture albums up for the different dates. One can see how much snow melted in the 10 days between visits.

July 27

https:/…LassenVolcanicNPJuly272011

August 6-7

https:/…LassenVolcanicNPAugust672011

After arriving in Reno on the 26th, we drove to Burney for the night and stayed at the Shasta Pines Motel. My review is posted, good accommodations. We got our first look at Mount Lassen on the Rt 44 overlook just before turning north on 89. Not much going on in Burney. We had enough time to check out Burney Falls in the evening. Definitely worth the stop, but watch out for the mosquitoes.

Left Burney in the morning and went straight to Lassen, driving the park road from north to south. Stopped at Reflection Lake, Manzanita Lake and the Devastated Area in order. Itching for a hike we stopped at the Hat Lake parking area and hiked the Paradise Meadows trail. Nice hike, although I think the flowers are blooming late this season.

nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisit/hiking_hat_lake_p…

After this hike we pretty much stayed near the road, as we needed to be in Medford for the night. We couldn't believe how much snow there was at the crest of the road where the Lassen Trail Parking Lot is. Took several "snow" stops along the way and headed to Red Bluff and picked up I-5 and got to the Medford Courtyard around 9pm. Did get a chance to take some shots of Mt Shasta and did drive through Ashland, wish we had more time.

After leaving Arcata and the coast on August 6, I knew we had a scenic ride on Rt 299 before reaching Lassen. Again we went north to south. Our goal today was check out the snowmelt and hike Bumpass Hell. That was a lot of fun. My wife gets in a little nervous in the snow (she fell at Glacier last year). After the hike we left the park and checked into the Best Western in Chester. I think that review might be still pending.

Our mission for the next morning (Aug 7) was drive up to Warner Valley and hike Boiling Springs Lake and Devil's Kitchen before heading to Lake Tahoe. It's a 30-minute ride from Chester. We loved both hikes and though Boiling Springs Lake was cool. We didn't really see anything like that in Yellowstone last year.

On the way to Tahoe we stopped for a couple different looks at Lake Almanor.

If we had more time I wanted to hike Lassen Peak, but the trail was only open half way both times we were there. Other than that, I though we got a good taste of a great park. In the next couple days I plan to get the Oregon report together.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report with Pictures

Thank you! I've been really jonesing for a trip to Lassen lately and your report and pictures is the next best thing. Hoping to go up with my nephew and his wife soon.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report with Pictures

Wow. Great! Thank you for sharing.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,565 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report with Pictures

Thanks for all the excellent photos. They make me want to go there.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report with Pictures

Great photos can't wait for your Oregon report. I am doing much of the same route only in a different order in just 2 weeks. Shasta pines motel looks nice and clean I have a reservation there and also with Merced Courtyard Marriot. I will look up your reviews.

Please type quickly. ;-) I have been looking for your return . I remember you from your planning stages.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 12:08
Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report with Pictures

Thanks. I posted the TR on the Oregon forum. We stayed at the Medford Courtyard, not Merced. Have a great trip!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28958-i237-k47323…

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report with Pictures

So glad to read your trip report as we leave for Lassen in 2 1/2 weeks. We will have two full days and if our flight arrives in Sacramento on time, half of another day. Can't wait after reading your report and seeing the pics. Thanks for sharing.

Red Bluff...
Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report with Pictures

Hooray, you made it to Boiling Springs Lake and Devil's Kitchen. Love the pics!

8. Re: Trip Report with Pictures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Lassen Volcanic...