We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lassen NP to Yosemite; scenic route?

Scarborough
Level Contributor
35 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Lassen NP to Yosemite; scenic route?

Hi, my friend and I are hoping to drive from Lassen NP to Yosemite NP in a day. We don't mind starting early. There will be 2 of us to share the driving and we're aware it will be a long drive (by UK standards). We'd like to take a more scenic route than I-5 and if possible bypass Sacramento. Does anyone have any suggestions? I should point out this will be around the 3rd week in September if that makes a difference weather wise. Thanks for any advice.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lassen NP to Yosemite; scenic route?

If you use google maps, it will show you the most direct routes - I-5 through Sacramento and 395 through Reno and Carson City to the eastern entrance of Yosemite, Tioga Pass.

Hwy 89 is an alternative to 395 for most of the way and will get you south of Carson City via Truckee, Lake Tahoe, Markleeville and Monitor Pass. This is probably the most scenic route but will take an hour or two longer than the other ones.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lassen NP to Yosemite; scenic route?

Yes, for the most scenic route, I agree with Supercilious on their last paragraph.

From Lassen NP, south on 89 to Quincy (cute historic downtown), and continuing south to Truckee (another cute historic downtown, this one centered around the railroad), then following 89 into Tahoe City, then down the west side of Lake Tahoe, continuing south on 89 to Hope Valley (lunch at www.sorensensresort.com at their cafe), then a bit east on highway 89 through Markleeville and then up and over Monitor Pass east to highway 395, then south on 395 to highway 120, then west on 120 up the big high mountain over Tioga Pass into Yosemite NP.

A lovely scenic day . . . with some great historic main streets to explore for some nice breaks!

[Can I go, too!]

Scarborough
Level Contributor
35 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lassen NP to Yosemite; scenic route?

Thank you both for the advice, the route you've mentioned looks far more appealing than the I-5, and I'm sure it will make for a great day's drive!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lassen NP to Yosemite; scenic route?

O yes! That's a fantastic drive but with all the stops we didnot make it to Yosemite that day (eg visited Bodie) and stayed Lee Vining. We were glad we could drive Tioga Pass next morning with the sun behind us. You really should give it an early start to get to Yosemite that day. You will want to stop at places for sure.

5. Re: Lassen NP to Yosemite; scenic route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lassen Volcanic...