We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July - What to do

SFO CA
8 posts
Save Topic
July - What to do

Hi,

We (Myself, my wife and 5 months kiddo) are planning to visit Lassen park during long weekend from SFO for 2 days. Any suggestions for :

1) Lodges to stay around Mineral

2) Ideal and Must see places to visit, see around!

3) Mediocre hikes - very keen on it.

Any idea How far is "Lava Beds" national monument from there??

Thanks,

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July - What to do

You should certainly do the Bumpass Hell hike when at Lassen. Be careful not to drop the baby in the boiling mud though!

Make sure the road is open - currently open as far as Bumpass Hell - projected road opening in mid-July, depending on weather and snow depth. Hopefully this weekend's hot weather will accelerate the snow melt. Maybe not open by July 4th - which is the long weekend I assume you mean.

The newspaper that the park service give you details ranger activities and they may have a good evening talk or hike for you.

Accommodation is not that great around Mt Lassen - last year I booked a campsite at Manzanita Lake and it was great - although my husband never sleeps well in a tent my niece and I slept like babies. So I recommend camping if you can stand it. I have stayed in Mineral and it is a very convenient location for the park - not much there itself - but good proximity to the park - so book ahead.

If you can get over the road then Manzanita Lake is a lovely place to take photos and walk around.

The Drakesbad Guest Ranch - http://www.drakesbad.com/ - is the only place in the park where you can stay. It fills up. So Mineral is not a bad alternative.

When you go to the Lava Beds take the road that goes over the top past a lovely volcanic lake - Medicine Lake. It looks a small road - but its OK and the lake is very scenic and is a good picnic place for lunch - bring your own food. You turn off Route 89 at Bartle.

…usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MedicineLake/description…

We probably set off around 10:00 am from Lassen - stopped on the way to take photos of cinder cones - then had lunch at the lake - then got to the Lava Beds around 3:00 pm. You can get there quicker via the road that goes to the east - route, We made it to Ashland for dinner and a Shakespeare play in Oregon. However, we did not have time to see the birds at Tule Lake - but we did go to the east of Tule Lake to look at the petroglyphs which are worth visiting.

From Lassen Peak to Medicine Lake Mapquest says Time: 3 hours, 14 minutes Distance: 116.85 miles.

Mapquest says 1 hour, 19 minutes from Medicine Lake to Lava Beds - that does not allow time for looking at Glass Mountain - an obsidian (shiny black rock people use for jewelry) hill.

Mapquest says 4 hours going from Lassen Peak to Lava Beds directly - it will be a bit longer from Mineral.

There are other good hikes at Lassen - if you have a whole day why not try for the peak - I've always wanted to do that but haven't done it. Gentle hikes I've done are:

Summit Lake Area- you can walk as far as you like or just round the lake provided the road is open to get there.

Wildflower walks up from Hat Lake in a southerly direction. Again I hope the road is open for you.

There is a good little book you can buy at the visitors center that has day hikes - take a look in it at least.

You might want to take a trip to Lake Almanor or Quincy.

You can drive up Mt Shasta some way - I like Lake Shastina - that has good windsurfing and watercraft rentals.

I'd also recommend going to see Shakespeare in Ashland and spending a couple of nights there if you have time - in between you can do a day trip to Crater Lake.

SFO CA
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: July - What to do

Hi Amhey,

Thats most amazing info you have provided. Thanks a ton.

Bumpass hell trail is still closed. Its likely to be opened by 16th July.

I am planning to stay at Burney (Lassen North entrance). There are a few nice places there to stay.

Since Lassen is yet to open fully, I am also covering Cirater lake. Staying at Chiloquin. There is a new B&B started there. (Ragin Ranch)....They seem to be courteous.

Just bought a backpack for my lil kiddo......Hope he is gonna continue for our Himalayn trek too.

Btw, you think medicine lake is worth a visit ??