We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other sites to visit on trip to Lassen from San Francisco

San Francisco
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Other sites to visit on trip to Lassen from San Francisco

Hi,

My wife and two young daughters are staying at Lassen for 4 days in one of the cabins. I was looking for somewhere nearby to fill up the next 2-3 days before heading home to SF. Any thoughts? I look at maybe Lake Almanor or make Bucks Lake? We are okay either with hotel in a small city (with stuff to do) or camping/ hiking?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lake Almanor
Lake Almanor
104 Reviews
Chester, CA
California
Level Contributor
745 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other sites to visit on trip to Lassen from San Francisco

I really like Burney Falls: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=455

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other sites to visit on trip to Lassen from San Francisco

I LOVE the cabins by Manzanita Lake. How old are your daughters? Burnie Falls and the Shasta area is also nice.

Mentioned in this post
Manzanita Lake
Manzanita Lake
136 Reviews
Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,064 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other sites to visit on trip to Lassen from San Francisco

Go out via Redding and visit Turtle Bay Exploration Park. It’s a nature discovery park by the Sacramento River that’s great for families. There are nature and science exhibits, animals, botanical gardens, and the world-famous Sundial Bridge. It’s a suspension bridge over the Sacramento River that connects parts of Turtle Bay Park. It is for walkers and bicyclists only, with a deck of translucent glass, not a single right angle in the design, and pylons on either bank but no part of the structure in the water to disrupt either the physical or visual flow of the river. Oh, and it's a sundial.

http://www.turtlebay.org/

Mentioned in this post
Redding
Redding
California
Turtle Bay Exploration Park
Turtle Bay Exploration...
386 Reviews
Redding, CA
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Sundial Bridge
Sundial Bridge
1,248 Reviews
Redding, CA
California
Level Contributor
745 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other sites to visit on trip to Lassen from San Francisco

F you are going during the summer, go to Turtle Bay in the morning as it usually gets pretty hot in Redding.

California, USA
Level Contributor
156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other sites to visit on trip to Lassen from San Francisco

+1 to Burney Falls. We just came back from a short trip to Crater Lake. On our way from Bay Area, we visited Burney Falls and it was spectacular.

Nick

6. Re: Other sites to visit on trip to Lassen from San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 07:18