We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

We will be leaving Lassen to go to Eureka then north to the Redwoods.We are staying on Highway 44 by Lassen.Can we take 44 to 299 then 3 to 36?Is that.a comparable road to 36 all the way?I've seen the Youtube videos of 36.looks pretty curvy.Will they both be that way?

We have a whole day to see things along the way.Is it a toss up?

Thanks

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,937 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

I'd just take Hwy 44 to 299 and then take 299 all the way to the coast. Eureka is just a bit south of where 299 and 101 meet up. No need to go around on 36 unless you really want some curvy back roads. As it is, the drive on 44 and 299 will take you about 4 hours.

san mateo CA
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

I am of a different mind than november_moon. I have never had anything but fun on my trips over that part of the coast range, even when on roads that had some gravel sections. I suggest taking the most backroad route you can. Also according to my AAA map all the roads you suggested are in red indicating that they are primary roads. Some caution about how you drive is of course advised.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,937 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

JAH - It sounds to me like the OP is concerned about curvy back roads, which is why I suggested 299 instead of 36. We recently had another poster comment about 36 being quite narrow in many places, and that is definitely the case - there are sections that aren't even really 2 lanes. As I said, if the OP IS interested in back roads, then 36 is a good choice. If he or she is at all nervous about them, then 299 is the way to go.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
569 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

Hi sunflowergals

I agree with november_moon. Stick with 299. 299 will be plenty curvy, there are parts of 36 that really are just one lane no center line at all. You also will be closer to Eureka when you hit 101 on 299. It is at least twice as far from 36 and 101 to Eureka.

Have Fun

GP

san mateo CA
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

OK maybe I am a bit overly confident because I have driven back, narrow, curvy sometimes gravel and dirt roads all of my driving life. I have always had fun on them. Nothing so peaceful as waiting for a drover to guide the herd off of the road. Nothing so scary as an apparently out of control logging truck appears coming down hill.

I do not know personally any of the above routes. I only offered my own opinion on what I would do.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

Via 36 will be at least one hour longer, and yes it's very curvy and slow but great for roadtrippers who like roads like that.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

Hi sunflowergals, I also agree with november_moon's post #1.

Hwy 36 is a long, long, long drive out in the middle of nowhere and it's not - in my experience - even really very interesting. It's just an old road that started life as a logging road and has not been improved a whole lot over the last century!

Here is the recent thread about it, with a little trip report:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k673928…

Along 299, you might like stop at Willow Creek to see Bigfoot...

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33274-d33…

Also Weaverville has the Joss House... tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g33244-Activitie…

>>JAH - It sounds to me like the OP is concerned about curvy back roads, which is why I suggested 299 instead of 36.<<

And why I agreed :-)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

Thanks for the links H-B. We'll prob driving 299 in the next month.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

Thanks for the info,we do want things to see along the way so 299 looks good with a couple stops,

It's hard to tell on the map which is the better road..

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,937 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way from Lassen to Eureka California

When I am unfamiliar with a road, I like to do the Google Street view - just plop the street view man down on some random sections of a road and then move him along the road to see what things look like.