We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avenue of the Giants on was to Lassen park

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Avenue of the Giants on was to Lassen park

I will be traveling from Trinidad CA (where we're spending the night after flying into Crescent City) to Lassen Volcanic Park and I need help deciding if I should take the southern route to drive thru the Avenue of the Giants. Can anyone advise how much out of the way that is and if it's worth the extra driving. Spending night in Red Bluff after visiting Lassen park then on to Crater Lake the next day. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
5,669 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avenue of the Giants on was to Lassen park

Since you are already in Crescent City, there are so many great redwood parks in that area.

Jedidiah Smith is a very nice one (among many) close to Crescent City - perfect for the redwoods and for a nice swim (it usually is warm enough to enjoy swimming in the river with nice views of the trees).

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413

While Avenue of the Giants is amazing - you have so many great redwoods - I would probably take the inland route - Burney State Park (nice falls), Hat Creek area, and then Mount Lassen.

But its up to you - as both areas are very pretty - its just different scenery if you head over to Shasta as there is so many great redwood parks in Northern California - wonderful area.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avenue of the Giants on was to Lassen park

I think you can safely skip AotG given the detour as you be seeing plenty if huge trees where you are. Use the additional time to take a redwoods hike, explore Subway cave, burney Falls or Sundial bridge in Redding.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avenue of the Giants on was to Lassen park

Thanks to those who responded. Your advice is appreciated.

4. Re: Avenue of the Giants on was to Lassen park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 07:16