We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which tour?

south western...
Level Contributor
994 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
which tour?

Hi

I realize this has been asked many times before, and I have read the postings, but I am still confused as to which tour to book. My preference is to see interesting formations, and I am not keen on small places. I don't mind walking and am not a large person. This will be the only tour we do this trip, so I really want to pick the best one. Also - are the private tours as good as the park tours?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which tour?

If you want to see formations, definitely focus on a tour that stops in the drapery room. The two that come to mind for me would be the New Entrance Tour or the Frozen Niagara Tour. The New Entrance Tour is longer and you get to walk through some of the massive rooms before you get to the formations area. The Frozen Niagara tour just really focuses mainly on the drapery room and is good if you are a limited time schedule. I believe there's another called Focus on Formations, which I think is even shorter yet.

If it were me, I'd do the New Entrance one. Keep in mind that Mammoth Cave really isn't known for its formations; its main attraction is its size.

As for the private tours, we did the Diamond Caverns tour and found it impressive. Diamond is a show cave, and it makes up for Mammoth's lack of formations. It's intresting to contrast the two caves.

Be sure to make advance reservations for your Mammmoth Cave tour. They all tend to sell out quickly, especially during peak season. You can reserve at recreation.gov. This site also includes tour descriptions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which tour?

We've done Historic tour and Mammoth passage tour when we were there a couple of years ago.

3. Re: which tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Cave National...