We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nolin Lake State Park - how close is it?

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nolin Lake State Park - how close is it?

Hi, I'm considering camping at Nolin Lake State Park at the end of June and am wondering how far it is from the national park - according to a Tripadvisor review, it's only 10 min away - "Mammoth Caves are just 10 mins away and you take this little ferry to get your car across the river to get there.( It's free) I was fascinated by that!" (tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g39177-d1018…) but according to Google map, to the main park visitor center, it will take 1 whole hour!

Who is telling the truth? I certainly don't want to drive 2 hours round trip every day.

Thank you so much!

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nolin Lake State Park - how close is it?

It's been a few years since we've been there, but the ferry was running then. I don't think it was large enough for our RV though. You might want to call the state park (unless a local chimes in), or consider staying at the National Park. We enjoyed our stay there.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nolin Lake State Park - how close is it?

I don't know about the ferry, but I drove to Nolin to scout it out as a camping spot. Not impressed.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nolin Lake State Park - how close is it?

When did you drive to Nolin? I feel as though I've read that it's been renovated in recent years ...

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nolin Lake State Park - how close is it?

For reference for the others, I contacted the park and found out that when the ferry is running you will have a 30 minutes drive to visitor center from Nolin. If the ferry is not operational it will take about 45 minutes.

The ferry is operational this summer (2013) and runs from 6 am to 9:55 pm every day.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 03:10
5. Re: Nolin Lake State Park - how close is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Cave National...