We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claustrophobia in Mammoth Cave

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Claustrophobia in Mammoth Cave

Hi all,

I will be in Kentucky this month (July 2013) and I want to take a tour of Mammoth Cave, preferably the "Historic Tour" or New Entrance Tour". I looked on the park website and it stated there that "If you have a fear of heights or suffer from claustrophobia, this tour [Historic or New Entrance] is not the best choice for you". Now, I am not claustrophobic per se, and small/crowded/tight places don't turn me off but getting down hands and knees and crawling through cave openings just a foot or 2 tall is definitely not for me. So, my question is-how tight is this cave in general, and in particular, the parts of the cave seen on the tours I mentioned above? Do you ever have to squeeze through really tight openings and/or get down on your knees or is it just a bit crowded but nothing to really concern the average guy?

Thank you

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claustrophobia in Mammoth Cave

Neither of those tours will have you on your knees, and nothing to concern the average guy! Enjoy!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,743 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Claustrophobia in Mammoth Cave

You will be fine we loved it.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Claustrophobia in Mammoth Cave

I did the historic tour once - if I recall correctly the only area that gets a little tight is "fat man's misery" and that doesn't last very long at all - maybe 5-10 minutes. Most of the tour is in huge open spaces. You may have to duck, but that's about it.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Claustrophobia in Mammoth Cave

No, you won't have to get down on your hands and knees, several of the sections do have tight fits, but I wouldn't worry about claustrophobia, except maybe in Fat Man's Misery (don't have to crawl still), and if you don't like heights one of the tours takes you around the bottomless pit, and you're really high up (even though in reality you're BELOW ground). Don't worry, and have fun!

5. Re: Claustrophobia in Mammoth Cave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Cave National...