We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike suggestions for a photographer

boston
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hike suggestions for a photographer

I'll be vacationing in Washington and making a day trip to Mount Rainier National Park. Does anyone have suggestions on some scenic (and short ) hikes or places to visit... i'll be taking Nikon camera and was hoping to some good shots of alpine meadows, waterfalls, mountains...etc.

thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Mount Rainier National Park
Mount Rainier National...
344 Reviews
Ashford, WA
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike suggestions for a photographer

www.googlearth.com

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike suggestions for a photographer

It's been dry and warm, so the falls won't be at peak. However, just the drive to Paradise will take you by, for example, Narada Falls. Take the trail for different views of the falls.

Unsure just how much of the flowers will be in bloom when you arrive. Paradise, Sunrise and Spray Park are best bets, I think.

Burroughs trails, Tolmie Peak Trails, are very worthwhile for their change of views.

Mentioned in this post
Narada Falls
Narada Falls
102 Reviews
Paradise, WA
Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike suggestions for a photographer

Not sure when you are visiting. Here's what we did in a day in late July:

1. Rode the chairlift at Crystal Mountain for an uninterrupted, full view of Rainier.

http://www.skicrystal.com

2. Stopped by Sunrise for the visitor center, a short walk, and the view.

home.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/sunrise.htm

3. Continue on a short way to Chinook Pass. There's a very pretty, photogenic little lake, Tipsoo Lake. There were also lots of bugs, but your camera won't mind. You get a different perspective on the mountain from that pass over a dark, jagged ridge.

Here's a list of day hikes:

www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/day-hikes.htm

Mentioned in this post
Crystal Mountain
Crystal Mountain
Mount Rainier National Park, WA
boston
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike suggestions for a photographer

THanks Bob and Voyaging!

I am planning to visit the park on Sept 2nd. I do hope there are least some wildflowers left, but if not no big deal.

Another quick question, we plan to be at the park early morning... as in 5am. Would the views be better at Sunrise (as the name implies)? Or is it the same in Paradise in the morning?

thanks!

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike suggestions for a photographer

We just came back from a 10 day trip to Washington. We spent three nights near Mt Rainier National Park. I am hardly an expert on the area so I cannot provide any "trails less traveled" but we went to the popular areas. The two areas we focused on were Paradise and Sunrise. They were both spectacular yet quite different.

Paradise was stunning. We had crystal clear weather with few clouds and plenty of sun. We took the Skyline Loop from the visitors center. Each view was better than the next. I am looking at the pictures we took with our little point-and-shoot camera and there isn't one bad picture in the bunch. This trail has nearly everything you are looking for. Meadows with flowers, view of the mountain, and some falls (oh, and the sweetest view from an outhouse I've ever seen). If I had just one day in MRNP, I would do this trail. Hike the trail clockwise and get the elevation gain done early. Don't worry, its mostly paved. Its about 6 miles for the entire loop but you could take off about a mile and a half by taking the Golden Gate trail back. You would miss some meadows though.

Sunrise was equally stunning but like I said, different. We hiked to Second Burroughs and most of it was on Alpine Tundra. The terrain was very rocky (hence the tundra) but seeing the mountain up close was incredible. So huge. We also saw a herd (?) of mountain goats at the top of the first Burroughs. Towards the end of the hike there were meadows as well. We liked this hike a lot even though we made the mistake of not putting on bug repellant. The bugs were merciless and apparently don't suffer from altitude sickness.

We entered the park at 8:30am on our way to Paradise. Its about a 20 mile drive if I remember correctly. I thought we'd be late but there were a lot of parking spots when we got up top but make no mistake, Paradise gets real busy. When we were leaving we saw cars parked down the road for about 3/4 mile.

Enjoy your visit. I hope you get great weather.

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Hike suggestions for a photographer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 07:17