We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stevens Canyon Road closed???

Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Stevens Canyon Road closed???

I found this on the webpage for the Paradise Inn. Does anyone know if this is right?

East entrance: Stevens Canyon Road temporarily closed for repair until mid-August. Please call 360-569-2211 for updates. From Yakima, take Highway 12 west to Morton, Highway 7 north to Elbe; and Highway 706 east to park entrance.

I did make the call but it said some roads were closed now but nothing was said about closed until August. That would add a lot to our trip.

Any locals know if that's true? We're going the first weekend in June.

Also this page isn't very helpful at this point to me anyway:

nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/road-status.htm

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Edited: 24 May 2010, 21:41
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

I think that's from last year.

I would call the Inn to speak to a person.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

I'm as sure as I can be that's from last year (had to repair a small section wiped out by a landslide). We were in the park last weekend and were speaking with a ranger at the gated entrance to Sunrise Road. She told us Stevens Canyon Road was ready to open in a matter of days.

Agree with northwest - check with ranger station at Paradise, or visitors center.

Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I'm going to call the Paradise Inn later today. I'll keep you posted.

Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

I just called Paradise Inn. Apparently, as you said, that was last year's information on their webpage. Stevens Canyon Road is scheduled to open the end of May, weather dependent. So I'm going to be optimistic there and check as it gets closer.

They did say they had about 9 feet of snow at Paradise, so I'm guessing hiking will be out there. I'm thinking we could do a little hiking at Longmire. Should the Grove of the Patriarchs hike be open then? Any suggestions on shortish but scenic hikes for the first weekend in June?

Thanks for your help.

Cindy

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

the Stevens Canyou road will be open May 28th Friday.... The hikes at Ohanapecosh/Grove/ Longmeir will all be open. too... Talk to a ranger at one of the visitor centers for more up date.

The easide passes on 410 will be open as will be hiway 12.

That notice you read was last year.

Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

Thanks for the information. I will check with the rangers too. I'm sure we'll find plenty to do. Looking forward to it!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,693 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

It's actually a lot of fun to hike on the snow at Paradise. You can follow the packed boot path that the guides and climers use on their way to the summit. Especially in the morning, it should be firm enough that you won't sink in. Poles will help keep you from slipping on the descent.

The views of the Mountain are just as nice as later in the summer; you'll just miss the wildflowers and green in the foreground.

Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

We're taking our Yaks. Maybe we'll try something at Paradise. I'm really hoping to see the mountain, that it won't be socked in the whole time. Beyond that I've not made a lot of hard fast plans. I'm sure the scenery will be enough and spending time with my son. It will be a go with the flow.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,693 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

Yaks are good for this. We've walked all the way up to the base of Panorama Point on the snow early in the season. On a nice day it is glorious up there (don't forget the sunscreen). Even on a not-so-nice day you have a chance of peek-a-boo views of the mountain as the clouds shift.

Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stevens Canyon Road closed???

Thanks for the tip. I'd like to try that. I leave tomorrow for Spokane, so I'm getting excited!