We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 full days at Rainer?

Maine
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 full days at Rainer?

Hi My husband and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary in Portland Ore. (we are from Maine) and then we will be spending 3 full days in Ashford. 1 of those days I would like to go to Northwest Trek and maybe the train.

So that leaves us 2 whole days in the park. I am disabled. I can take small walks and flat walks up to a mile. I want to go on all the scenic drives and stop a lot for scenic views. I can't "hike"

Can you give me some idea what we could do, like an itinerary, for 2 days. By mid afternoon, I am done. Anything my husband can do alone?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 full days at Rainer?

Do you mind sharing your entire itinerary in the Portland and Seattle areas? Given your needs, perhaps we can suggest other places (including Mt. RNP) you both can go and still benefit from this beautiful part of the country.

I miss Maine. :(

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 full days at Rainer?

When will you be at Rainier?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 full days at Rainer?

We really need to know when you will be here. Late summer or early September there will be many more places available to sightsee than what will be open in the next few weeks.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 full days at Rainer?

You should go to one or both of the major viewpoints and Sunrise and Paradise. There's a nice level walk around Tipsoo Lake at Chinook Pass.

Maine
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 full days at Rainer?

OK, I am sorry I was fact lacking. Money is not too much of an issue. We are spending Monday in Portand Oregon,Tues we are going through the Cascades and Columbia River. Getting to Ashford Tues night. We are leaving there Sat to go to Mt. St. Helen on our way to the Oregon coast, stay Sat night and eventually leave to Portland Sunday evening. Monday is back to Portland Maine.

Does that help?

Maine
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 full days at Rainer?

I forgot. We are going in the middle of July.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 full days at Rainer?

So you will be here in about 2 or 3 weeks. If the weather warms up like they are forecasting (90s in Portland next week), then there should be access to most of the popular areas in Mt. Rainier National Park.

The Trail of the Shadows at Longmire is an easy mostly flat walk, a nice one to do midday because there is lots of shade.

Spend some time looking around inside Paradise Inn, visit the new Visitor Center at Paradise.

Drive from Paradise to Ohanepacosh and up to Sunrise. Many places with overlooks to stop and snap pictures along these roads.

Edited: 01 July 2010, 05:21
8. Re: 2 full days at Rainer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 06:16