We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conditions next week

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Conditions next week

After many years, I am coming back to Mt Rainier. Monday we will start in Sunrise in the morning, Ohanapecosh in the afternoon and spend the night in Packwood. Tuesday we will drive to Paradise and on to Longmire.

What I need to plan for is the weather. The last time I was here there was a heat wave and it was shirt sleave weather all over the park. From what I can find now, it can be from the 80s in Longmire to the 50s in Sunrise. I realize the weather can change, but are the current temperatures ones I can plan for on how to dress next week?

Thank you for your help!

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conditions next week

You will need to plan to dress in layers. Weather and weather forecasts can change quickly here :). Even on the trail you will need to be equipped properly, since a lot of trails are in the open, and it is not uncommon for thunderstorms to roll in quickly.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conditions next week

Early to be accurate as mountain weather is so unpredictable, but right now it looks pretty good for the beginning of the week. Tempreatures will are predicted to be in the 70's at lower elevations and 60's to high 50's at higher elevations. Of course that can change. Be prepared. You will not be seeing 80 and the mornings are starting to have a hint of Autumn.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conditions next week

I want to thank both of you for your quick replys and sugestions. This will help everone in our group pack the clothing they will need.

Now I just have to make it thru the rest of the work week...

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conditions next week

Also, read the weather forecast here:

http://weather.king5.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=king5&target=king5&query=mt+rainier+national+park&Submit=Submit

Scroll down to the "NWS Forecaster discussion", where the forecast is discussed in more detail, which gives you an idea of how confident the meteorologists are about their forecast.

5. Re: Conditions next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 07:17