We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 5: Mount Rainier, Plan B

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 5: Mount Rainier, Plan B

Part 5: Mount Rainier, Plan B

Thursday September 2: Our kids left early that morning from Port Townsend to return to Mount Rainer. All during the day, when there was signal, we would receive text or an occasional picture telling us how great it was on the mountain. When they returned that evening all they could talk about was how great it was, how they hiked the Skyline Trail and showed us their pictures.

I talked with my wife and decided to go with Plan B and that we would also return to the mountain the following morning. The weather report said it would be clear and warmer than today.

Friday September 3: Check out day. Our kids left very early this morning to fly back to Florida. It was great sharing our vacation with them this year, but it went so quickly.

We left Port Townsend around 7:30 am for our return to the mountain. We had our first view of it as we past Bremerton. It is something to see on a clear day.

It was after 11:00 am when we arrived at Paradise. Parked the car in overflow parking and walked to the visitor center. Once again we stopped at the ranger’s desk and asked about the trails. He suggested going up to Myrtle Falls (my wife likes waterfalls) and the Nisqually Vista Trail.

The views were wonderful at Myrtle Falls. You could see Sluiskin Falls of in the distance. From there we hiked down to the Inn for some last minute shopping. Then back to the visitor center for lunch.

After lunch we hiked the Nisqually Vista Trail. We enjoyed the meadows full of wildflowers and the views of the glacier. On the way back to the car we had the Tatoosh Range to fill our view.

Once again, it was getting late and we had to leave. Our kids were right, we need to see the mountain on a clear day.

We left the park and drove to Sea-Tac where we spent the night at a Sleep Inn.

Saturday September 4: We checked out of the Sleep Inn and drove to Sea-Tac. Boarded our plane to go back home to Illinois. It was nice to fly by Mount Rainer on the way home.

Washington, Thank You for sharing your special places with my family. Everyone is still talking about the wonderful trip they had.

All of our trip report can be found in the following Washington forums:

Part 1: Port Townsend

Part 2: Seattle

Part 3: Mount Rainier

Part 4: Olympic NP

Part 5: Mount Rainier, Plan B

Our vacation pictures can be viewed at: http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 5: Mount Rainier, Plan B

Thanks again for the detailed trip report.

Perhaps your posts will help broaden the opinion we regulars here have of what's possible. I'm certain than any number of us would have tried to discourage you from trying to visit Mt. Rainier using PT as your base; let alone two such trips.

I'm glad you had a rewarding and enjoyable visit,

chuck.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 5: Mount Rainier, Plan B

Hi chuck,

Over the years, my wife and I have developed a style of travel that works for us. We will have a base for the week (Port Townsend) and a destination 4-6 hours away (Mount Rainier) that we want to visit over 2-3 days during our trip. We try ot find a place to stay close to that destination (Packwood) to maximize our visit there and elimate 8+ hours driving in one day.

Our second trip to Mount Rainier was not planned for that week. We were going to Mount Saint Helens and driving back to Sea-Tac. But, for us, it was inportant to see what we missed on that cold rainy day at Mount Rainier.

Once again I want to than everyone on the Washington Forums for helping us plan this vacation. I have asked a few questions but, I have been visting and reading the Washington Forums for the last 6 months. You have helped us plan a great vacation this year. Thank You!

3. Re: Trip Report Part 5: Mount Rainier, Plan B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 06:20